Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 26, 2008, 5:24 PM   #1

Couldnt wait to open it up and charge the battery!!

1st impressions.
Love it, Love it, Love it
The sounds it makes are beautiful
Didnt realise the focus ring on the kit lens was at the end of the lens, well out of the way of my hands, no problem.
The grip is too small though (im 6ft, 14st) really but ill get used to it, the grip on the Panasonic FZ30 was better, bigger.
one of the best things is the view finder, coming from a super zoom digital view finder, this is 100 times better.
The lower end is wider than the panasonic FZ30 which is nice (Canon 18-55 IS KIT)
Im gonna lose the lens cap, i might see if i can tie it on.
Lovely fast focusing and the 9 AF points light up!! wow, i keep playing with them in manual mode.
Fits well in my Lowepro 200 sling bag that came with it
oh im gonna have fun playing with this, might even take some pictures lol
simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2008, 5:43 PM   #2

congratulations. You may want to look into a battery grip. I'd suggest going to a store that stocks them and try it out. It might make gripping the camera more comfortable.

Enjoy your new toy!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:18 PM   #3

First the DSLR, then the camera, then lenses, flashes, filters, then bigger camera bag and then any excuse to go on a trip to take pictures.:GHave fun with the new camera.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:09 AM   #4

anyone else notice that when you have the camera sideways (portrait) and your looking through the viewfinder, that your nose gets hit when the flash pops up unexpectedly. No, i havent got a big nose, and im not really a horse
Old Jun 29, 2008, 4:43 PM   #5

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=7
macro shot from the kit lens
Old Jun 30, 2008, 3:47 AM   #6

Nice pic m8, I am hoping to attach my Nikon 6T close up lens that I used on my Pany for some macro shots, just waiting for the step down ring to arrive! Also my try the teleconverter I used too, shame the Canon is a little bigger (58mm) than the pany (55mm)as I have had to buy a new polarizer. At least I can still use my Cokin filters tho.

We seem to have undergone the same camera life pattern (if there is such a thing), both starting out with a Pany FZ30 and upgrading to the 450D (oh and I have the Lowpro Slingshot 200 too!) We even lived pretty close too, up until recently.

What are you planning on doing with the Pany, selling or keeping. Originally I was planning on keeping it, but now having used the Canon, I cannot think of a reason to keep the pany, lens changing can be time consuming, but dosnt warrant keeping it.
Seedubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 5:15 AM   #7

hi dubs,

the fz30 wasnt the starting place, before that was a fuji 4900 thing.. before that.....

yea im probably going to ebay the fz30, depends on what they go for. i miss the video mode but my wifes getting a powershot a650 and that will have video, so we wont be videoless.
Need to do some comparison shots with the fz30 against 450d when the 70-300 is usm lens turns up this week before ebaying it. Did you see now they have a £50 rebate on the 450d? well as mines not 7 days old i can send it back :-) and buy another (especially as the price has gone down too. With the rebate the 450d +kit lens (18-55) is £399+ £5 del.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 5:34 AM   #8

Hi m8,

Yeah I started with a canon powershot, I think it was 2MP or something, nice little camera, still have some pics online somewhere.

Unfortauntely I have had my 450D for a month or so now, cost me £501 with the lens kit, but never mind, I think we could wait and wait for it all to go down in price.

I am going to try and get some comparisons done sometime this week, work permitting, but would be nice to see.

Seedubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 7:32 AM   #9

I bought a 450D this weakend to. my frst SLR and I'm loving it, my previuse camere was a Pan FZ7 huge huge difference lol

where did you found the £50 rebate for the 450d?
lostside7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 7:41 AM   #10

everyones buying 450d's
the rebate is valid if you bought the 450d on or after the 26th of june, until about the begining of aug. This is a UK offer, i dont know about the rest of the world
http://www.canon.co.uk/eos450dcashback/

Till receipt will be returned with your cashback cheque. Offer commences Thursday 26th June and closes Monday 4th August.
Visit http://www.canon.co.uk/eos450dcashback for full Terms & Conditions