Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 3, 2003, 3:41 PM   #1

Default 10D or Not 10D, that is the question!

I am now in the market for my first SLR digital camera. I have narrowed my choices down to the Canon 10D or Pentax Ist D. Both offer similar features and quality. Can anyone advise me on which route to go?
SteveZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2003, 5:09 PM   #2

Is the Pentax *Ist finally out in the wild? Do you have already lenses for either camera body?

I like the 10D very much, it has virtual no noise and to prove so: It has no noise reduction in camera and a bulb mode as long as power lasts...
The 10D is a bit heavier than the Rebel 300D or Pentax * Ist. Compared to the last, if you consider carying a spare battery with the camera; 4 AA's weight more than 1 lithium ion.
The * Ist has a cute small design, but the build quality looks more like an advanced Rebel (with 2 settings wheels like the 10D)
Looking through www.dpreview.com/articles/pentaxistd/default.asp
I would say;
- 10D more durable build
- * Ist smaller body
- 10D has cmos, * Ist has ccd
- 10D has already dropped in price
- technicly they seem on same level (the 10D has Kelvin color settings)
- * Ist has no review yet
- Canon EF lenses are more common to find than Pentax autofocus lenses. I have a feeling that the lense market will become more and more a Nikon F and Canon EF bussiness. If Pentax had been able to deliver the camera together with the 10D they could have made a point with their KAF fitted lenses, now investing in Pentax lenses seems like investing in Betamax video system.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 6:15 PM   #3

Yes...the Pentax Ist D is here in Canada. I don't have existing lenses for either the Canon or Pentex so to me it really doesnt matter. I've been using a D7Hi for the past year.
Old Oct 4, 2003, 10:02 AM   #4

I have the 10D, and have for about 4-6 months. I like it a lot. The only thing I want is a better AF system. Not that it is bad, but I'd love AF at F8!

I would generally agree with all of Mathilde uP's comments (although I don't know the *Ist, so I can't back those parts up.)

I thought I'd add that 4 AA batteries might be lighter than a dedicated battery (which does matter) but they are a lot less common. If you are on vacation and need a battery... AA's will be there, the propritary will not. AA's are also a lot cheaper and keep advancing. More and more capacity. Only Nikon got it right in this respect. Their propritary battery combined with the D100 has just amazing camera life. Truly amazing.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 11:26 AM   #5

There is no Auto Focus at F8 on the 10D? Why wouldnt there be?
Old Oct 4, 2003, 2:06 PM   #6

Maybe Eric is refering to F8 as type of camera? Autofocus works with my 10D at very apperture.

About 4 AA versus Lithium Ion propritary batteries. Indeed a 10D emergy battery is not on sale at Timboektoe newsstand....However power consumption of 10D is quite low. Even with extensive use and flashlight it runs a mile. I'm starting more and more to leave spare battery out of bag as recharging seems to be a once and while thing.

Also note that a 2300 mhA AA battery weights more than a 1000 mhA AA. Weighted several batteries;
Canon 10 D battery = 70,5 gr
4 plain AA = 71 gr
4 NimH 2100 mhA AA = 113 gr
Carying spare sets will increase the difference. The propritary battery (also available by third partie brands) is also more compact and so is the charger. In 2 hours an empty battery is fully charged. And best is lithium Ion does not have a memory effect. Personally I prefer lithium ion for being more compact and easier in use. Only thing is against it is the price.

How the lifetime of both type of battery compair is unknown to me, but from experience I had more mishaps with NimH than with lithium ion.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2003, 10:06 PM   #7
NHL

Quote:
Autofocus works with my 10D at very apperture.
It works at every aperture for the lenses that you have... @ smaller aperture like f/8 or after a teleconverter, like Eric have used, there not enough light for the camera to AF anymore... there's also way to bandaid the pins to fake AF, but it'll hunt

Quote:
Canon 10 D battery = 70,5 gr
4 plain AA = 71 gr
4 NimH 2100 mhA AA = 113 gr
You're forgetting the weight of the 10D(790g) and the lenses(?g) which weight way more and much larger than the D7 which I also own... The Pentax *ist weights in at 650g (so you add that spare set of NiMh to the total) and still be lighter than the 10D! :lol: :lol: :lol:

... Now the 300D/Rebel is a feather weight (560g) :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 11:48 AM   #8

Yes, NHL is correct. Let me be specific, as many people don't seem to know this.

When you activate AF, you camera figures out the focus at the largest opening (lowest f-stop) the lens will do. Say you're shooting with a prime lens... 50 f1.8. It doesn't matter what your settings are at, the camera always meters and does AF at f1.8. When you press the shutter, the lens stops down to the chosen f-stop and takes the pictures.

The 10D will not auto focus when the lens can't do an f-stop less than or equal to than f5.6. Above that it will not AF (unless the lens lies and says it's at f5.6.) The sigma 50-500 is technically f6.3 at 500mm. But it lies and says it is f5.6. This allows it to still autofocus on consumer grade DSLRS (like the D100, 10D & 300D.)

The 1D, 1Ds, D1h, D2h, D1x all can do auto-focus at f8. My 100-400L is f5.6 @ 400m. If I add a 1.4x TC to it, it's smalled f-stop is f8. This means I loose auto-focus on the 10D, but wouldn't on a 1Ds or 1D.

I've done the taping trick NHL talks about. It causes the teleconverter to lie and not report it's there. So the camera thinks it's using an f5.6 lens and it tries to auto focus. It's really bad at it because there isn't enough light to detect contrast properly, but it tries.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote