Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 13, 2008, 9:12 PM   #1

The Rebel XS(1000D) vs 40D looks about the same in terms of specs, with the 40D having these additional features:

9 point focus
sRAW
ISO 3200(H)
1/8000" shutter speed
6.5 fps as opposed to 3fps

Are these features used often enough to justify the cost difference?
The 40D is substantially heavier as well. Is there a big difference in build quality? User interface?

Am I better to get a 40D, or get a 1000D and allocate the money saved on lens?
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2008, 9:48 PM   #2

hello
i am presently in the same boat as you and was looking for advice on which root to take
if you get any important info pls share it with me
it is a $400 difference between the 2
however it sems like the kit 18-55mm lens that comes kit-ted with the XSi is of a far inferior quality than the 18-75mm IS USM lens that comes with the 40D
anyway good will hunting
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:26 AM   #3

I think one of the first questions that will be asked to youis what type of photos are you looking to take? Your answer will help others give you opinions/suggestions. Example could be if you are going to shoot sports the extra 3.5 fps (total of 6.5) might be important. Good luck on your choice.
GatorKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:43 AM   #4

GatorKev wrote:
Quote:
I think one of the first questions that will be asked to youis what type of photos are you looking to take? Your answer will help others give you opinions/suggestions. Example could be if you are going to shoot sports the extra 3.5 fps (total of 6.5) might be important. Good luck on your choice.
Are these camera based on the same engine? If I'm using the two bodies on the same lens and same settings, do the resulting photos look the same?
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:43 AM   #5

I had an Xti for about 5 months, I now have a 40D. I find the ergonomics much better for me with the 40D.

That's something to think about, the 40D is quite a bit bigger camera than the XS. Can be good or bad.

Joe

itsme000 wrote:
Quote:
The Rebel XS(1000D) vs 40D looks about the same in terms of specs, with the 40D having these additional features:

9 point focus
sRAW
ISO 3200(H)
1/8000" shutter speed
6.5 fps as opposed to 3fps

Are these features used often enough to justify the cost difference?
The 40D is substantially heavier as well. Is there a big difference in build quality? User interface?

Am I better to get a 40D, or get a 1000D and allocate the money saved on lens?
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:13 PM   #6

itsme000 wrote:
Quote:

GatorKev wrote:
Quote:
Are these camera based on the same engine? If I'm using the two bodies on the same lens and same settings, do the resulting photos look the same?
Pretty much......yes. The image quality is not the reason why one chooses the 40D over the XSI or XS.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 6:56 AM   #7

KALEL33 wrote:
Quote:
itsme000 wrote:
Quote:

GatorKev wrote:
Quote:
Pretty much......yes. The image quality is not the reason why one chooses the 40D over the XSI or XS.
Oh, you prefer bells and bling over image quality?
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 7:09 PM   #8

shadokachr wrote:
Quote:
KALEL33 wrote:
Quote:
itsme000 wrote:
Quote:

GatorKev wrote:
Quote:
I didn't know longer shutter life, much faster FPS, larger buffer of RAW, weather resistant(XSI isn't), magnesium alloy body, 3200 ISO, all sensors cross type(XSI only center), able to store user presets, larger and brighter viewfinder, and viewfinder is pentamirror vs pentaprism. I didn't realize that was bling, but maybe or bells. They're not just bells and bling.....they are things that photographers can and do use to they're advantage.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 7:52 PM   #9

KALEL33 wrote:
Quote:
shadokachr wrote:
Quote:
KALEL33 wrote:
Quote:
itsme000 wrote:
Quote:

GatorKev wrote:
Quote:
I didn't know longer shutter life, much faster FPS, larger buffer of RAW, weather resistant(XSI isn't), magnesium alloy body, 3200 ISO, all sensors cross type(XSI only center), able to store user presets, larger and brighter viewfinder, and viewfinder is pentamirror vs pentaprism. I didn't realize that was bling, but maybe or bells. They're not just bells and bling.....they are things that photographers can and do use to they're advantage.
True, so true, but that would even more true if we were talking of film camera bodies. Now that the image quality is married to the camera body and not a function, for the most part, of the film. Image quality is a major consideration.
I agree with what you said above, just adding what I consider an important part of the selection process.
The great part is that all of Canon's late model D SLR's are hard to beat.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 2:06 AM   #10

I'm looking at an xsi and the only drawback I have is the lighter seals on the xsi over the 40D. But it all comes down to what I can afford. The XSI kit lens is Image stabilized and from what I've read, the 1000 doesn't come close to the XSI. Cameralabs.com puts the 1000 against the XSI, check it out.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote