Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:22 PM   #1
knd

Hi,
I can trade a EOS 20D for a new in box Rebel XSi (EOS 450d).
is it worth it? since the amount of money that i'll pay it's about $50....so money in this case is not relevant.
Thanks in advance

knd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:32 PM   #2

what is it you don't like about the 20d? I.E. why do you want to trade it in for anything? Just to get something newer? Or is there some area where the camera is letting you down?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 6:45 PM   #3
knd

hi.
i like my 20d a lot. i'm pretty happy with it (i have it for 3 years at least i think).
just asked that because, it's an oportunity.
what i would like to know....is there (if any) big improvement on getting to a 450d.
like in quality of picture
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:10 PM   #4

The 450D will give you more megapixels. It'll be smaller than the 20D. You'll won't be able to reuse your CF cards with it though.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:19 PM   #5

also, I think you'll have live-preview and a dust reduction on the Xsi something I think is a big plus when comparing to my 20d. Also the Xsi uses SD cards with are way cheaper and more readily avaible when compared to the CF cards. I've gotten a few 2GB sd cards at wal-mart for as little as $8 each... I remember paying $80 for a 2gb CF card when I ordered my 20D amost 3 years ago.

Where can I trade in my 20D for a XsI??

You'll need to consider your 20d only accessories, like myself I have about 6 batteries for the 20d (I'm not up on the specs of the Xsi) but are you willing to not have those with your new camera, or are you willing to pay to replace them for a model that will work for the XSI. Also, I have the verticle grip with my 20d... are you willing to repurchase a new vert-grip for the xsi if you still wanted the feature... Lastly, I know when comparing flim bodies like my Eos 1v, Elan7e... the rebal line up have a noticably dimmer view through the eye hole. Mostly due to the fact canon used mirrors (to save $$) and not using a prism in the camera. Also what is the crop factor when looking through the eyepice. what I like about my 1V HS is that then I look through the camera I'm going to get 100% of what I see with my eye no more no less. With my 20D which I think have a crop factor of 96% that means 4% of my image will not be seen in the viewfinder, I'll only see with after the image is taken.. I'm not sure the crop factor of the Xsi, but it is something to consider it is is different than the 20D. Other things to compare Image Processor 20D have version II, Xsi has version III - Better color images? What about Frames per second, ISO.

matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 5:48 AM   #6
knd

let's go:

20d vs 450d
Megapixels(not important) 8 vs 12
sensor size - 22.5 x 15.0 mm vs 22.2 x 14.8 mm
viewfinder- Pentamirror vs Pentaprism
LiveView No vs Yes
DustReduction No vs Yes
Weight 740g vs 540g
Memory(got the same ) CF vs SD
Body well xxd series ergonomy are great, more robust. 450d even with the exterior in plastic, i was not disapointed with it (of course i like better the xxd shell)

i've sold my 20d grip (didn't use it too much)
batterys i've got 2 but i'll get 2.

In image quality....is there gonna be any improvement, using the same glass? canon 50mm f1.8, sigma 17-70 ....etc?
thanks again
Old Jul 15, 2008, 7:56 AM   #7

knd wrote
Quote:

In image quality....is there gonna be any improvement, using the same glass? canon 50mm f1.8, sigma 17-70 ....etc?
thanks again
12.2 Mp and 14 bit A/D conversion. In a word, yes.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:43 AM   #8

Not sure if this matters to you, but the XSi is slower in continuous shots.

20D is 5 FPS, XSi is 3.5 FPS and you also lose ISO 3200 with the XSi.

itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 1:17 PM   #9
Super Moderator

shadokachr wrote:
Quote:
knd wrote
Quote:

thanks again
12.2 Mp and 14 bit A/D conversion. In a word, yes.
In a word NO. Not so that it's worth worrying about.

I personally would rather have the 20D, no contest.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 6:37 AM   #10

BTW, the 20D is equipped with the pentaprism vs the 450Ds pentamirror. Pentaprizm is a lot better, but also more costly to manufacture.Advantage - 20D.
TTfoto is offline   Reply With Quote