Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:48 AM   #1

Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone has a similar experience:

Just recently on my XT I've noticed that after I press down halfway to achieve focus, pressing it the rest of the way doesn't immediately take the photo; the delay varies, and I'm not able to reproduce this reliably. It only happens occassionally and of course usually when I least want it to...

Is it mechanical or some issue with the contacts in the mechanism?

Who would be able to fix it for me?

I've had the camera about 3 years, and wondered if you're supposed to bring it in for a regular 'tune-up' or 'cleaning' every so often.

Thanks in advance for comments & help.

VC
velocitycurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2008, 6:46 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi VC and welcome to Steve's :-)

It could simply be that the camera is struggling to get focus lock rather than there being a problem. If the camera starts the focus process but not having enough contrast to lock onto then this could happen.

If the camera is not trying to focus straight away then there is likely a problem but it doesn't sound as if that is the case.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 8:15 PM   #3

Hi,

The part that concerns me is that it achieves focus lock - I have the Big Green Light - and that's when pressing down the rest of the way doesn't do anything sometimes, and takes the picture up to a second late on other times. It's only come up in the past few weeks.

And its intermittent too, and I find it hard to re-create when I'm trying to sort it out.

VC
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:20 PM   #4
NHL

Mark1616 is correct!

You must have set your camera in single-shot AF in which case the shutter won't release until the camera has locked AF...
-> Change your camera to AI or servo focus and you 'll see a big improvement as the camera will be changed to shutter priority instead
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:29 PM   #5

OK. I had it set to One-Shot AF, I've switched to AI Focus and see if I keep running into it. Thanks guys for the suggestions. Hopefully it works out.

VC
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:46 PM   #6

ps. And thanks for the welcome
Old Jul 20, 2008, 7:04 AM   #7
NHL

Bear in mind that you're now in "shutter-priority" instead of "AF-priority" so the camera will release the shutter even if the initial image is not in focus, i.e. either the subject has moved or the camera was displaced!

-> I would use the AF servo mode and follow focus in a multi-burts sequence and let the servo continuously fine tunes the AF rather than let the camera decide what to do in AI focus...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 2:07 PM   #8

Just wanted to update that I haven't had any trouble since switching to the Servo mode - in fact the pictures seem to be turning out sharper. Thanks for the help on this one!