Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 5, 2003, 2:51 PM   #1

Default 300D & good printer - comments?

Started with digital photography with a Finepix 2400 a few years ago but always maintained my 50E. Then I changed to a PC110e to capture our first child's first year. After the first year, I've taken nearly 1,000 digital images but only 3hrs of video - so a better digital is what I'm after.

I've ready the reviews, and am close to purchasing a 300d body, and a seperate 28-200 or 28-300 zoom.

I'm not a pro, but do want first class results. So is it the 300d or the D10?

Also, i'm sure my 950c deskjet isn't giving me the best printed results, so any recommendations on good printers?

Thanks
Craig
CraigBFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2003, 4:07 PM   #2

If you want first class results, I would suggest to take a good look on the lenses you want to buy - what exactly do you have in mind? You must spend much money for a good 28-300! And for my opinion you should definitly buy the set of the 300D together with the 18-55!
1) For sure you can sell it for a good price, if you really don't want it, as it is not sold separatly, and there are some guys already out there regreting that they didn't buy it.
2) Don't forget, that a 28-200mm lens means 45-320 for the 300D. That's perfect for teleshots, but is 45mm really wide enough for all your needs?

Printer: I use a Canon S9000, which is able to print up to A3+ (the little brother is the S900 - same quality) - and it is excellent! Together with the Canon Photo-Paper PR-101 it produces prints, that have only one downside: They are not water proof. Beside this it is nearly impossible to see a difference to "normal" photos! Also it uses separeted cartridges for each of the 6 colors, so you don't have to change the whole cartridge just because one color is empty, like you have to with HP printers.

Have fun,
Klaus
Klaus W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2003, 8:30 PM   #3

When looking for a printer, focus on photo printers (6 or more different inkt colors). Higher dpi is mostly a matter as how fine the printer will be able to blend those basic colors to natural looking tint.
Epson 2000 has long lasting archival inkts.
A photo printer may print photos quite natural and spot on, however a simple color chart may show the trouble inkjet printers have with colors. If you buy a printer also look into price of inkts and cost of good photo paper. Third parties offer some excelent paper.

Wax printers are better with colors but also more expensive http://www.kevinboone.com/compdict/t...x_printer.html
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 9:57 AM   #4

So without flash compensation, does this mean that all flash photo's will be poor - over exposed? I take alot of family indoor shots?
CraigBFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 10:06 AM   #5

I think that depends on ambient light. The darker the room the stronger the flash, the paler your family will be. Also depends on distance of subject. However with a bit of creativity one can create external flash compensation: Put something in front of the flash, cigarette roling paper for instance ;-)
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 11:07 AM   #6

CraigBFG,

Flash compensation only allows you to change the power of the flash away from what the camera thinks it needs. Either the 10D or 300D use E-TTL flash metering which controls flash output and camera settings automatically to give 'the best exposure'.

You can adjust the flash settings by locking the flash to properly expose a specific region 'correctly' using FE lock.

E-TTL gives amazingly good results most of the time. If you plan on using the flash alot, I'd highly suggest you getting an external flash with a bounce head. You'll reduce red eye greatly and the softer bounce lighting will result in less harsh photos when you can use it.

BTW - I've put correct and best in quotes because you may want to have a different look than what the camera gives. Correctness is best defined by you, not a diode assuming an 18% grey card.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 5:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa
BTW - I've put correct and best in quotes because you may want to have a different look than what the camera gives. Correctness is best defined by you, not a diode assuming an 18% grey card.
Very true!

Don't forget that some flashes and cameras support flash compensation. This allows you to reduce/increase the power beyond what the camera & flash thing it should be. I've used this to my advantage here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=14668

Flash photography is not easy. Do it wrong and all kinds of things can go badly. The pictures can look flat (fine detail which subtle shadow brings out can be washed away), skin tones can be wrong, flash shadows make faces and other things look bad....

It should be noted that I don't believe the 300D has flash compensation. But how this works with a flash that supports it I don't know.

How much do you want to spend on a printer? The Epson 2200 is very well spoken of, but its expensive ($700 or so.) Its also a few years old... maybe something better has come out? Make sure you get something which supports archival inks or your pics will fade real fast.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote