Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 2, 2008, 6:04 PM   #1

Hi I was fiddling about with a 450 today and i could not get live view to work when i was in ful auto mode though it did work fine when i was in any manual mode is this correct? or did i no set it up correctly
foxcub6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2008, 3:26 PM   #2

What does it say in the manual?
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 5:32 PM   #3

Dont know idont own the camera i was in a shop and i dont always believe the salesman cos most are just box shifters

Old Aug 4, 2008, 5:32 PM   #4

:sad:

Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:32 PM   #5

Live view does not work with the basic modes(ie. dummy modes). You can use P mode, it's not manual.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 3:26 PM   #6

Didn't think I would ever use Live Veiw when reading the manual on my 40D but I was wrong. Standing at the back of a crowd watching Chris Angel live, Live View came in very handy, grab some good shot of him on stage while holding the camera above my head. Not an easy thing to do either with one arm in a cast.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 2:45 PM   #7

hi, i was dubious about the live view feature on my 40d, seemed a bit limited compared to the true live view on p&s cameras - can only use it in manual focus and it only works in the program and manual modes.........

....but i have used it a fair bit, also with the camera above my head or when low down.

still not as versatile as the tilt and fold out screen on the fuji s9600 i just traded up from. but live view on mainstream dslrs is still pretty new, i expect newer cameras will enhance this useful feature.

alan

www.alanf.co.uk
bl0at3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 5:01 PM   #8

I don't expect it to be as easy as a point and shoot for a long time because of the issue of the mirror on the DSLRs. Point and Shoots don't have mirror and don't need to be flipped to do so. Sony has two sensors in theirs, but this is not a perfect choice because the second sensor is not as good as the main sensor.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:39 AM   #9

Pressing the "set" button doesnt work?
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:24 AM   #10

KALEL33 wrote:
Quote:
I don't expect it to be as easy as a point and shoot for a long time because of the issue of the mirror on the DSLRs. Point and Shoots don't have mirror and don't need to be flipped to do so. Sony has two sensors in theirs, but this is not a perfect choice because the second sensor is not as good as the main sensor.
I had a look at the Sony A300 yesterday in a local electronics store. I was curious about its live view and flip-screen. I've read that Sony is the only manufacturer that's come close to replicating point-and-shoot usability when it comes to live view. And I've grown accustomed to the user-friendliness of my live view swivel screen on my Canon S2 IS.

Actually, I was there comparing the Canon XSi and the Sony Alphas, both of which boast a live view feature.

My conclusion: I wasn't all that impressed with the Sony screen. It's not a swivel screen, like the one on my S2. It movesup and down vertically, but it can't face backward. And the hardware seemed a bit flimsy...likethe screenmight fall open every timethe camera was taken in or out of a carrying case. (But maybe this was a result of too many people man-handling the demo model.) I'm sure the technology is superior to Canon's (in fact, neither the salesman or I could figure out how to get the Canon live view to focus!), but overall I liked the feel of the XSi in my hands - it's much lighter and has a rubberized grip.

And I've decided that the live view is not a deal-breaker for me, even though the A300 is more than $100 cheaper than the XSi.
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote