Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 6, 2003, 8:58 AM   #1

Default Where to buy Canon Eos 300D?

Subject says it all really.
Anybody got any suggestions?
Good experiences with a particular supplier or bad experiences?
Cheers
Mike
mtjhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2003, 10:35 AM   #2

Onecall.com is probably the best online dealer to consider...ask for free shipping if you can. Other stores:

normancamera.com
samys.com
canogacamera.com
bhphoto.com
coostercamera.com and

ecost.com, free shipping, $9.95 ovvernight shipping, order today, you will have it tomorrow before 10:30am. Great website, very reliable...

I bought mine at the local BB since I get the discount ($906 plus $16 for 4 years replacement warranty :-)) for the camera and lens kit )
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 5:26 PM   #3

$889 body only, $979 with EF 17-55mm @ ecost.com, free shipping ($9.95 overnight fedex optional) with opportunity to get another $50 rebate from ecost...
Old Oct 6, 2003, 9:25 PM   #4

If possible, buy it from a local store. Buying in store comes with certain advantages;
- Shop bonding, with a slr camera you are bound to want some extras sooner or later, they will recognize your face and may throw in something extra.
- Try lenses in the shop to see if it is as expected.
- Service point if something seems to be wrong with camera they will take care of it with Canon.
One thing though, avoid shops that seem to be in a hurry or with too much sale bla bla. You are about to buy a serious camera the sales person should be calm and granting you time for reflection (even if 5 people are waiting behind you), if not go to next shop.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 12:36 AM   #5
NHL

... Don't know if anyone get it, but today I've just received several coupons through the mail from Best Buy which will give you 10% off plus you get a $10 certificate when you spend over a $100 at the store.

The catch is they don't have any 300D/Rebel left... from several just a few days ago! ops: ops: ops:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 11:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
... Don't know if anyone get it, but today I've just received several coupons through the mail from Best Buy which will give you 10% off plus you get a $10 certificate when you spend over a $100 at the store.

The catch is they don't have any 300D/Rebel left... from several just a few days ago! ops: ops: ops:
Yes...but they can order them from the warrehouse and honor the discount from the coupon. The trick is you need to read the fine print to see what being excluded from using the coupon
Old Oct 7, 2003, 1:32 PM   #7

If the extra cost is not a problem, I'm completely with Mathilde uP on this one.

Find the best camera store in your area and (if they treat you well) get it from them. Make it clear that you are buying from them in trade for good service. Make it clear you know you could mail order it cheaper, but you want the better service that they should offer you. Build up a relationship with a sales person and always use them.

You will spend lots of money on camera gear over the years. Having a relationship with them will make it easier. They will also be able to offer good advice. "That flash AF assist light won't work with your camera"... things like that. Because they'll know you and your equipment. Now, some times the cost is worth the savings. It can be several hundred dollars. But for some things it isn't. My shop is the best in the Boston area. Their price on tripods is within a dollar of B&H Photo (largest single photo/video retailer in the enture US.) On the other hand, B&H is much cheaper on lenses.

Another thing to consider is their return policy. Lens quality can be a cr*p-shoot. Some times you'll just get a bad lens. Being able to walk in and say "look, this lens isn't good" is really nice. They'll know you and trust you and everything will be fine. I had my battery charger die 2 days before leaving on a week vacation. Because the store knew me, they fedexed a new charger from their NY store even before I had paid for shipping (it would have been free if they had it locally.) This meant it got to me before I left. How many mail order places would do that???

The trade off is that I pay a little bit more (some times.) It is worth it to me, but I can afford to do that. Maybe you can't.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 11:27 PM   #8

I have to agree with eric.

The digital rebel is a serious camera, going to a quality camera store will likely be worth it. i bought mine at the local Canon/Nikon/Fuji pro dealer. Paid the same as I would have at the larger chain but the salerep got to know me, my habits and steered me to the camera that she thought I'd get the most out of.

The profit margin on camera's is pretty thin so usually there isn't going to be much difference in price after shipping/handling/customs in factored in.

That said - if the person behind the counter doesn't give you the 'warm and fuzzies' go somewhere else. I won't deal with the nearby store because they seem to feel that they're much superior to everyone else. I don't need the arrogance.

You're not a better person because you shop at one store over the other.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 9:30 AM   #9

I checked the 10% off coupons from BestBuy. They do not exclude the Digital Rebel, unlike the CompUSA coupons. They do state that discount is limited to stock on hand and they are only good for 4 days. Unfortunately Iíve already purchased my camera so Iím out of luck.
grbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:54 AM   #10
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by grbowers
I checked the 10% off coupons from BestBuy. They do not exclude the Digital Rebel, unlike the CompUSA coupons. They do state that discount is limited to stock on hand and they are only good for 4 days. Unfortunately Iíve already purchased my camera so Iím out of luck.
... Yeap it even says digital & film cameras on the coupon, but only valid for 10/10-13! I'm sure a lot of people will be checking their local Best Buy's :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote