Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 24, 2008, 1:08 AM   #1
CPM

It appears that none of the sample photos in the Rebel XS review were taken in RAW.
If you don't give us sample photos taken in RAW (when RAW is available), then your readers can't know how good a camera really is. It is common for camera manufacturers to blur JPGs to get rid of defects, or to over-sharpen them. JPGs never represent the true capabilities of a camera. Are you listening, Steve?
CPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2008, 12:20 PM   #2

Wow, second post and rail on the reviewers. RAW is kind of hard to decipher because the a camera can be set at a certain sharpness that is added when it is post processed. Canon RAWs look very dull and lack sharpness, but that's because they allow the photographer to make the adjustments during the post processing.

Another thing is that 99% of the XS users will not use RAW. They're people that want the point and shoot ease of use in a DSLR, that's why the saturation and sharpness is much higher in the XS jpegs compared to the other Canon DSLRs. If people were using photography as a major hobby or profession then they most likely will not choose the XS.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 1:35 PM   #3
Super Moderator

CPM wrote:
Quote:
It appears that none of the sample photos in the Rebel XS review were taken in RAW.
If you don't give us sample photos taken in RAW (when RAW is available), then your readers can't know how good a camera really is. It is common for camera manufacturers to blur JPGs to get rid of defects, or to over-sharpen them. JPGs never represent the true capabilities of a camera. Are you listening, Steve?
Firstly let me welcome you to Steve's (the friendly photo forum........ )

If you would like an answer to this or if you are wanting to suggest that RAW images are posted then I would suggest going to the Contact Steve'ssection and post there. I would suggest a slight rewording of the post so it is less confrontational but I'm sure that someone will be able to give you an answer.

There is always a large argument for the use of RAW v jpg, personally I shoot portions of weddings in RAW and jpg just in case I get blown highlights but as yet I never have had to use the RAW files. One of the top wedding photographers in the world Jeff Ascough http://www.jeffascough.com/only shoots in jpg so I wouldn't get too hung up on RAW. Like I say it is a hugely argued area and I'm not looking to start a discussion on it now and as has already been said the majority of entry level dSLR's (and even higher) will be using jpg.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote