Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 24, 2008, 2:25 PM   #1

I'm thinking about buying my first dSLR... I think I've settled on the Canon XSi. But I'm curious about the "live view" feature.

I read the review of the new XS here on Steve's (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_..._rebel_xs.html) and it talks about the feature being complicated for both the XS and XSi. I wonder if anyone here has experience with the feature or an opinion.

I got the impression that the feature has to be turned on each and every time, one picture at a time, and that it's not a control that can be left activated. I wonder if that makes sense...

And before anyone digs into me about how I shouldn't be taking pictues that way with a dSLR... I'm only asking because it's a fun feature for when other people pick up the camera and take the odd shot.
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2008, 2:41 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I've just popped this into the Canon dSLR forum for you, hopefully you will get some good answers from our users.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 5:06 PM   #3

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
I've just popped this into the Canon dSLR forum for you, hopefully you will get some good answers from our users.
I goofed. Thanks.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:32 AM   #4

I have had about 1000 actuations on my XSi, and not once have I used that function.

You can enable it in the menu, and then it stays enabled. To activate it, you only need to press the "set" button on the back of the camera. I dont know if it would stay active for subsequent pictures.

To be honest, its a lot faster, easier and more accurate to just use the viewfinder. The only instance where I would use this is when you cant get your eye to the viewfinder, for example if you want your camera to be ground level to photograph a bug or something.

Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:42 AM   #5

Thanks Carrots. I realize that it's not as useful or effective as the viewfinder. I wouldn't plan on using it very often, I was just curious about how it works. And I had my questions answered in another thread. Apparently Sony is vastly superior in the department of live view functionality, if it's something that's important to the buyer. Which I guess it really isn't to me. Cheers.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 7:29 AM   #6

True... if Canon made as swivel LCD for the live view it would have been great!
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:01 PM   #7

I think the biggest benefit is using the camera with a laptop. You get a much larger view and you can control the camera more precisely with the remote controls.
leroyvanhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:27 AM   #8

So I bought my XSi about a week ago and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I haven't had many opportunities to use it outside (we're plagued with crappy, rainy weather thatwon't let up), but I'm looking forward to giving it a workout.

To address the live view issue: It's semi-complicated to use and nearly useless when compared to live view on a point-and-shoot camera. The vagueness that Canon is famous for in their instruction manuals does not help matters, but once you've got the method down, you'll soon discover that it's just not worth the bother. I actually find it distressing that Canon would produce commercials bragging about the live view function when consumers are bound to be disappointed or even angry if they purchase based on that upgrade.

Otherwise I like the camera. I'll be sure to post some pics when I get the chance to venture outside with it!
Old Oct 7, 2008, 9:02 PM   #9

I wonder how this compares to the 50D or to the 5D MKII. Is the live view on those just as "useless"? I hope not.
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:41 PM   #10

Paul(UK) wrote:
Quote:
I wonder how this compares to the 50D or to the 5D MKII. Is the live view on those just as "useless"? I hope not.
I'm noexpert, but I have a feeling that Canon will improve the functionality at time progresses. I think they'll adopt the Sony strategy if they don't adopt something better.

With the XSi, I have a feeling they released the bare minimum technology in that department as a deceptive selling point. And I'm sure it worked for many buyers.

My only advice is to read the reviews on the 50D and 5D... and look at the live view option for what it's worth - a nice toy but not a reason to purchase.