Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 25, 2008, 9:51 AM   #1

My SandiskCF cards,three 2gb and two 4gb,will not record in consecutive order. These are the standard blue colorcards. One card will continue where I was last atand my other cards will start from 0001 or some random place. I just came back from vacation and all 3 CF cards I usedare in mixed order! It's driving me crazy! I've had theCF cardssince I bought my 20D about two years ago and never had a problem with them till early this year. Don't know if changed a setting by accident or if it's the cf cards.BTW I format the CF cards every timeto delete my photos. Would appreciate anyhelp I can get.

Thanks guys!

Chris
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2008, 5:10 PM   #2

Hi Chris,

We had a similar problem with my wife's Rebel XT. She uses the blue 1gig sandisk also.

She had been using the same card for quite awhile. (short trips with no need to change cards) and would format the card in camera after each use. On a longer trip the first card numbered fine but after changing to other cards the numbers went crazy. The same as you explained.

It seem the way the camera works is when the card is formatted it creates a folder with the current sequence of 100 shots, then creates a new folder for each subsequent 100 shots. I'm assuming the file system works the samewaywith the 20D since it does with my 30D

Our theory on this is since she formatted all the cards at the same time, they all started with the same folder number. Some how that "confused" the camera when the cards were changed and it screwed up the numbering. It has only happened once so far, and happened soon after the camera went over 10,000 shots. My 30D just went over 10,000 so I'll keep you posted if it screws up too.

I know this does not put your pictures in order, but you are not alone with that aggravation

One thing you could do to help put your pictures in the proper order is sort them by date and time and then rename them.

Good luck

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 5:16 PM   #3

Mugmar wrote:
Quote:
Hi Chris,

We had a similar problem with my wife's Rebel XT. She uses the blue 1gig sandisk also.

She had been using the same card for quite awhile. (short trips with no need to change cards) and would format the card in camera after each use. On a longer trip the first card numbered fine but after changing to other cards the numbers went crazy. The same as you explained.

It seem the way the camera works is when the card is formatted it creates a folder with the current sequence of 100 shots, then creates a new folder for each subsequent 100 shots. I'm assuming the file system works the samewaywith the 20D since it does with my 30D

Our theory on this is since she formatted all the cards at the same time, they all started with the same folder number. Some how that "confused" the camera when the cards were changed and it screwed up the numbering. It has only happened once so far, and happened soon after the camera went over 10,000 shots. My 30D just went over 10,000 so I'll keep you posted if it screws up too.

I know this does not put your pictures in order, but you are not alone with that aggravation

One thing you could do to help put your pictures in the proper order is sort them by date and time and then rename them.

Good luck

Mugmar
Thanks Mugmar! Feels good not the be the only one with this problem :-) I would sort them by date but I have no clue how to do this on my Mac :O I'm new to Mac's. I can NOT find a way to sort my files by date or date taken. It wouldn't bother me so much if I could sort them this way but I'm stuck :sad:
Old Aug 25, 2008, 6:35 PM   #4

Sorry you're having trouble with your mac. I have no clue either, I'm still PC and have no desire to change at the moment.

If you have Zoombrowser (should have come with camera, if not it's a free download from canon) you can go to the menu bar>view>sortby>date shot.

Hope this helps

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 8:27 AM   #5

Mugmar wrote:
Quote:
Sorry you're having trouble with your mac.* I have no clue either, I'm still PC and have no desire to change at the moment.*

If you have Zoombrowser (should have come with camera, if not it's a free download from canon) you can go to the menu bar>view>sortby>date shot.

Hope this helps

Mugmar
COOL! I'll look for it! Thanks again Mugmar!