Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 27, 2008, 5:07 PM   #11

the xsi has auto iso
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 5:55 PM   #12
Administrator

camerageak wrote:
Quote:
the xsi has auto iso
NHL is talking about a more sophisticated approach. With most camera's Auto ISO, it's only going to look at your shutter speed as related to your focal length for camera shake purposes before increasing ISO speed.

So, if you're trying to shoot using a minimum shutter speed of 1/500 second using most modes (Av, P, etc.) in low light with most cameras using a shorter lens, you'll need to increase the ISO speed manually (since the Auto ISO isn't going to increase it enough to reach your desired shutter speed target with most cameras).

With some of the newer Nikon models, you can set a minimum shutter speed tied to Auto ISO. For example, if you set this function to 1/500 second, it will increase the ISO speed to make sure you achieve that minimum shutter speed (and you can cap it at the highest ISO speed you're comfortable with). This feature could come in handy when shooting fast moving subjects in varying lighting (so that you don't have to set ISO speed yourself, and can take advantage of the camera using lower ISO speeds when possible for less noise, increasing it as necessary to maintain the minimum shutter speed desired).

Pentax has something similar called ISO Priority mode. Pentax implemented a more sophisticated Auto ISO first if memory serves (beginning with the K10D). With it, you set both the shutter speed and aperture and the camera calculates the correct ISO speed and uses it. With Nikon, you wouldn't have to set both (you could shoot in Av Mode if desired and still maintain the desired minimum shutter speed set for Auto ISO).

AFAIK, unless I missed it, Canon and Sony don't have anything similar yet (although some models like my Sony A700 allow you to set a minimum and maximum ISO speed for Auto ISO, you can't tie it to a desired minimum shutter speed).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 6:08 AM   #13
NHL

Someone else notices this minor detail too: http://seekingalpha.com/article/9301...milar_articles

"... and geotagging also means that it is likely that future Nikon DSLRs will also begin to include this technology. It also means that Canon is going to have one heck of a challenge when they finally release their 5D Mark II (likely at the photokina photo show in Germany next month)."
-> For folks who want this feature one has to jump through (expensive)hoops on the Canon's system as well as manage the cumbersome issue of dealing with various batteries type and chargers - i.e. all counterproductive with anyone traveling plans
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:28 AM   #14

please forgive me for asking!! i was getting 40d canon now canon came out with 50d!! is 50d worth waiting for?? paul
astral8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:47 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Once again we see that Nikon make better cameras, and Canon have a lead in sensor technology.

The D3 and D700 are 3 years later than the 5D and still have no better IQ from ISO100-800.

There is little doubt that the D300 is a much better camera, but every chance that the 50D will best it in image quality by some margin, and at a significantly lower price too.

So once again if the camera features are most important, choose Nikon, if the IQ is most important choose Canon.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:59 AM   #16

ok is this all worth it! i brought 4 books to learn how to use 40 canon and now this!!! do i need get 50d instead??
astral8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 8:30 PM   #17
Administrator

I think the 50D is an interesting camera (at least on paper).

Right this minute, you need to go with Nikon's full frame 12MP sensor in the D3 (and now D700) if you want relatively good results at very ISO speeds (i.e., ISO 6400+) within the Nikon lineup.

So, I can imagine the 50D will attract a lot of users looking for an edge for low light shooting if Canon can pull off decent IQ at higher ISO speeds with this model (i.e., a usable ISO 6400, pushing it a bit higher if needed, with a stop better performance compared to the D300/D90).

Of course, we don't really know if it's going to work well at those ISO speeds. We'll have to wait and see. But, I suspect that was one of Canon's goals (make it cleaner with higher usable ISO speeds) from what the specs seem to show (native through ISO 3200, with up to two stops above that using boost). I wouldn't expect it to outperform the full frame D3/D700 at speeds that high, especially since Canon increased the pixel count in the 50D. But, if it can squeeze past the D300/D90 for noise levels and detail captured, I think it would be an attractive option within it's price niche.

From my perspective, it all depends on what you want to shoot and the conditions you want to shoot in. To me, higher usable ISO speeds would be a more important consideration compared to most of the extra features you find in some of the other cameras around. But, many people would never shoot using those types of settings and may not care about that. Even if they don't care, the extra pixel count could factor into decisions though (more megapixels tend to sell cameras). lol

Old Sep 1, 2008, 6:15 AM   #18

Like JimC, I like a lot of the features of the 50D, such as the 3" screen, (hopefully) good high ISO, micro AF adjustments, good "cropability", viewfinder, 6.3 fps, etc.

I guess the features I look forward to most are
- improved AF (compared to my 350D/XT which does have it's autofocus weaknesses when "challenged")
- extended ISO range (if it is low noise at and above 3200 ISO, that would be good, especially since a bit if cleaning up in post processing can do wonders!)
- better build quality.

When / if I get the 50D, I will have to get used to the extra weight though, as my 350D/XT is noticeably lighter & smaller... (I have held and used a 40D a number of times, which is basically the same size / weight as the new 50D). And that extra few hundred grams DOES make a fair bit of difference. But I'm sure I'll adjust and get used to it, just as I did moving up from a point and shoot to my Canon 350D/XT.

I'll wait for the reviews, and then plan to upgrade to the 50D probably around Christmas or early 2009. Anyway, my Canon 350D/XT would make a good 2nd / spare DSLR.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:34 PM   #19

I was really disappionted that a built-in wireless flash trigger wasn't part of the 50D package... Olympus and Nikon have it.

I just bought a bunch of Canon EOS glass and that is really what is keeping me in the canon line. I've just using my Canon 20D. and was hoping the replacement for it would have been the replacement fot he 40D... but the only thing that it has going for it, for me it the insain high ISO setting and the mega-pexals.

Come on Canon... you used to be the leader in this camera game. Stop playn' bench warmer, wireless flash trigger can't be that hard to include, and what about a full-frame prosumer...

I'm seriously considering getting a close out 5d to replace my 20D.
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 8:25 PM   #20
Administrator

matthew2000tx wrote:
Quote:
I was really disappionted that a built-in wireless flash trigger wasn't part of the 50D package... Olympus and Nikon have it.
And Sony. ;-) All of the Sony Alpha models can do it. That was inherited from Minolta's flash system. You've also got HSS (High Speed Sync) avalable with wireless using compatible Sony or Minolta external flash models.

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/flash.htm