Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 7, 2008, 12:53 AM   #21

Unless canon accepts the gap no matter how many xxD's they come out with they will be catching up Nikon going forward.

D300 was a revolutionary camera. Canon should have taken a cue from there and build on D300 features plus whatever canon can boast about.

50D is a great camera. From papers at 15mp and better noise characteristics the 50D looks great. But where is the 45point AF system. WHere is the Auto ISO as NHL mentioned. WHere are the things that will make me buy a Canon over a D300.

Anyday D300 is a better photographers tool than a canon 50D.

Lets face it, D400 after a 50D with Nikons efforts to give a PHOTOGRAHER friendly camera would kill 50D by huge margin

1d Mark III is a failure.

So it will be interesting to see if canon can accept the gap and work on it. Else no matter what they will loose to Nikon in the long run.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 2:24 AM   #22
Super Moderator

I don't know, the 50D comes in quite a lot cheaper than the D300, with more resolution and a 1-2 stop noise advantage, and a decent feature set.

So better IQ for a lower price at the cost of less features. For me that's a no-brainer. I don't need or even want the features in the D300. I want a simple camera with the best possible IQ at the lowest possible price. I think that there are a lot of people who feel the same way, so the 50D will be a good seller.

I think that these new sensors and Digic4 is going to re-establish Canon's lead in IQ. On the other hand Nikon don't make their own sensors, which leaves them free to concentrate on the cameras and features. Nikon are making better cameras than Canon at the moment, but Canon is about to re-establish its lead in IQ.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 3:35 PM   #23
Administrator

The Sensor in the D3 and D700 is apparently a Nikon design (although someone else may actually do the manufacturing of it for them). Ditto for the sensor they used in the D2H and D2Hs. All the rest of the sensors used in their dSLR models appear to be Sony though.

I suspect that Nikon wanted something that they could use to target users that wanted the best low light performance and felt that the new Sony 24.6MP sensor was too dense to easily do that with (not to mention the increased processing power needed to move that much data from the higher resolution sensor and be able to keep frame rates high enough for sports shooters). That's only speculation, though.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:07 AM   #24
Super Moderator

Nikon "design" - what does that mean exactly?

Did they actually design the chip or did they just say what they wanted and put it out to tender? I suspect the latter. Which is not to say it's a bad strategy. Canon are brilliant at chip design and (frankly) a bit crap at camera design. Nikon are kings at camera design so why not concentrate on what they are good at? They certainly don't have the resources to compete with Canon on chips.

If you could get Canon chips in Nikon cameras I don't there would be any other sensible choice you couldmake.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 5:25 AM   #25
Administrator

It's my understanding that Nikon even manufacturers some of the equipment used for fabricating Sony's sensors (but, that's only hearsay from reading through posts about it). Look at their other divisions:

http://www.nikonprecision.com/

If you see this 2 page article, you can read more about the ideas behind the first sensor they designed (the sensor used in the D2H and D2Hs), with quotes from the Nikon employees working on it's development:

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im...e/07/index.htm

They're not really giving out much information on the sensor in the D3, other than to say that it's a Nikon design.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:37 PM   #26

Forgive me if I've missed it but is the 50D full frame?
rubykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 1:09 PM   #27
Super Moderator

No, 1.6 crop same as all XXD cameras.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 2:21 PM   #28

What a shame...I was hoping!
rubykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:58 PM   #29

I don't understand the AF numbers in camera's. I'm fairly new to the DSLR world, I take pictures primarily of dog agility, fast moving in low light. I"m probably going to get the 50D for it's higher ISO.

Anyway, my question is: When I photograph dogs, or whatever, I usually just use the Center autofocus point, or at least it's the red dot in the middle of the viewfinder (not sure it that's the AF point or what.
What difference would more AF points make if I don't use them?

Joe
Kalispell, MT

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
...But where is the 45point AF system.
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:03 PM   #30

50d vs 40D... more pixels... meh. unless there's an improvement in IQ (which the jury is out on, because cramming 50% more pixels on the same size sensor is not usually a great idea...) that is noticeable in the size prints you make, save your money and wait for the 5D price to drop...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote