Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:16 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 144
Default

I agree with you about the pixel race (it's nonsense), but what may very well get me to trade in my 40D on a 50D is the insanely high ISO.
If the IQ is decent in the high ISO range, it's a 50D for me.

Joe

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
50d vs 40D... more pixels... meh. unless there's an improvement in IQ (which the jury is out on, because cramming 50% more pixels on the same size sensor is not usually a great idea...) that is noticeable in the size prints you make, save your money and wait for the 5D price to drop...
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 3:06 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
squirl033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,720
Default

Joe-1957 wrote:
Quote:
I agree with you about the pixel race (it's nonsense), but what may very well get me to trade in my 40D on a 50D is the insanely high ISO.
If the IQ is decent in the high ISO range, it's a 50D for me.

Joe

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
50d vs 40D... more pixels... meh. unless there's an improvement in IQ (which the jury is out on, because cramming 50% more pixels on the same size sensor is not usually a great idea...) that is noticeable in the size prints you make, save your money and wait for the 5D price to drop...
unless you shoot in candlelight, or do a lot of handheld night photography, the high-ISO performance isn't that important. the only time i shoot above ISO 200 is for wildlife, sometimes at dusk the light is low enough that i need ISO800 or 1000. but i don't make any money on wildlife shots, and for the landscape prints i do sell, IS0 100 is fine... if the light's a bit dim, that's what tripods are for!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 7:41 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 144
Default

Different strokes...

Look at my website,
squirl033 wrote: [/b]
Quote:
Quote:
unless you shoot in candlelight, or do a lot of handheld night photography, the high-ISO performance isn't that important. the only time i shoot above ISO 200 is for wildlife, sometimes at dusk the light is low enough that i need ISO800 or 1000. but i don't make any money on wildlife shots, and for the landscape prints i do sell, IS0 100 is fine... if the light's a bit dim, that's what tripods are for!
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 7:41 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 144
Default

Different strokes...Stupid database is messed up This is 5 times I've tried to reply.
Different strokes...
http://dogshots.biz


squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
unless you shoot in candlelight, or do a lot of handheld night photography, the high-ISO performance isn't that important. the only time i shoot above ISO 200 is for wildlife, sometimes at dusk the light is low enough that i need ISO800 or 1000. but i don't make any money on wildlife shots, and for the landscape prints i do sell, IS0 100 is fine... if the light's a bit dim, that's what tripods are for!
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 12:21 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 144
Default

My point was going to show how I need every bit of speed I can get. High ISO will do it, so will a wide open aperture.
I"ve gone as wide as I can on the f stop.

Joe
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 8:10 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 260
Default

Joe-1957 wrote:
Quote:
My point was going to show how I need every bit of speed I can get. High ISO will do it, so will a wide open aperture.
I"ve gone as wide as I can on the f stop.

Joe
If that's the most important thing to you then buy the 5DII. It's a full stop better than the 50D.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 11:27 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 144
Default

I'd do that except...1. Cost, and 1. I really like my Sigma 18-200 lens for a walkaround lens. I don't think it would work very well on a FF camera.

Not being a professional, I really can't justify spending that much money on a camera. Sure, it's a great camera, but still....:-)
Joe

KALEL33 wrote:
Quote:
Joe-1957 wrote:
Quote:
My point was going to show how I need every bit of speed I can get. High ISO will do it, so will a wide open aperture.
I"ve gone as wide as I can on the f stop.

Joe
If that's the most important thing to you then buy the 5DII. It's a full stop better than the 50D.
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:22 PM   #38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9
Default

The USA modelsstarted to trickle into some of the bigger name NY camera stores, ordered mine today on eBay, should have it Tuesday, I'll post my observations unless someone beats me to it!
Bob N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 4:56 PM   #39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9
Default

Ok, got my 50D from the big brown truck today. I took two pics ofa dimly littable top scene (ok, my basementrec roomclutteredcoffee table), one at 800 ISO and the other at 3200 ISO, both with standard noise reduction applied from the camera, printed them both without any post processing at all at 8.5x11, holy crap I can barely tell a difference, they both look great. Very unscientific and I'm sure the pros will do a much better job down the road but I'm impressed so far. The LCD is much improved too, apparent right away.
Bob N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:31 AM   #40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9
Default

The bottom-line is that 50D is a very excellent and, potentially, a very outstanding camera. Not perfect by any means, but a great step forward. I have not to date exercised enough of it's' features and options to be more specific now, but I will follow-up with more information once I have the opportunity to use the camera more.

deadastronaut001 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:03 PM.