Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 26, 2008, 7:51 AM   #1
Administrator

Canon Announces EOS-50D

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., August 26, 2008 – With the demand for digital SLR cameras reaching unprecedented levels, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging, is answering the call with the announcement of the next evolution in advanced amateur digital SLR photography, the EOS 50D Digital SLR Camera with 15.1 megapixel resolution and Canon's new DIGIC 4 image processor. Designed to offer extraordinary quality and image control for the advanced photographer with a passion for the art, the Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR camera includes an expanded ISO range, improved noise reduction, and in-camera photo editing features. Canon has loaded the EOS 50D camera with a number of enhancements and some trickle-down technology from Canon's professional Digital SLR cameras, as well as a new Creative Auto Mode (CA) that gives users more creative flexibility to make image setting adjustments conveniently without the need to be a photo expert.

Canon has built upon the success of the popular EOS 40D model - which will remain in Canon's line - with the EOS 50D Digital SLR camera. Expected to be the camera body of choice for advanced amateur photographers this holiday season, the Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR camera carries over the EOS 40D's 14-bit Analog-to-Digital conversion process for smooth tones, and also includes enhanced noise reduction, especially at higher ISO ranges which will help bring those romantic nighttime shots into greater focus and clarity. Capable of shooting 6.3 frames per second (fps), the EOS 50D Digital SLR camera is ideal for shooting everything from beautiful night landscapes to fast-action sports.
Read the full press release.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2008, 9:50 AM   #2

I just saw this here too: http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...makes-eos.html

Man, seems canon is moving pretty quick now with there updates. At least it feels that way.

rhett7660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:12 AM   #3
Administrator

Photokina (a very large photography trade show held once every two years in Cologne, Germany) is next month.

You will likely see many announcements for new camera models from a variety of camera manufacturers leading into this show, as it's a very popular "launching point" for new photography related products, attended by many thousands of people, with press coverage from many photography related sites and magazines.

Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:46 AM   #4
NHL

I agree with JimC, the 50D might make a bigger impact 12-months ago, but at this point it's only playing catch-up to features that are already available on other camera's such as high-res LCD and HDMI output.
I'm afraid this announcement will be short-lived as other manufacturers will soon eclipse it in a few weeks

-> IMO there'll be a low hope for the 5D replacement if it's based on this body...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 11:31 AM   #5
Administrator

On the surface, the 50D looks like it's going to be a pretty nice camera *if* they can pull off the resolution increase, while allowing higher usable ISO speeds at the same time, without negatively impacting image quality (real detail captured, dynamic range, etc.). We'll have to wait and see.

Old Aug 26, 2008, 3:26 PM   #6

I was interested in the Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction feature. I didn't think light fall-off was that much of a problem with APS-C sensors. Could this be theintroduction of electronic anti-vignetting for wide angle lenses on FF sensors?
ADSchiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 6:41 PM   #7

I've been a Canon guy for years, had a 10D, 20D,40D,and now anXSi, thenfound outwhat Nikon had with their D300 and D700, and boy are they tempting. So far, just from specs, not real impressed with the 50D, UNLESS the image quality just blows away the D300, we'll see. Why can't (or won't) Canon come up with a system like Nikon's where you set the exposure parameters and the camera varies the ISO to suite the exposure that is required? The 50D doesn't appear to have this, wake up Canon! Anyone know if the 50D has moisture and dust sealing on the body like the Nikons? There may be a 24-105L on eBay pretty soon if Canon doesn't catch up!
Bob N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 3:44 PM   #8
NHL

Bob N wrote:
Quote:
Why can't (or won't) Canon come up with a system like Nikon's where you set the exposure parameters and the camera varies the ISO to suite the exposure that is required? The 50D doesn't appear to have this, wake up Canon! Anyone know if the 50D has moisture and dust sealing on the body like the Nikons? There may be a 24-105L on eBay pretty soon if Canon doesn't catch up!
Ditto here - It's called "auto ISO" as one can set both the upper and lower limit as well as the minimum shutter speed when this function will kick in

IMO Nikon already have a winner in this segment with their D300/D700 combo as one can easily switch between cropped and full-frame body without re-learning the controls
-> I don't see how the 50D can effectively compete especially when the current on-line price of the D300 (with overwhelming features) is not that much more :O

They already catch-up the auto-CA after one year then why do it half-heartily? Why not jump ahead as the competition is about to update their line too...
Old Aug 27, 2008, 4:04 PM   #9
Administrator

NHL wrote:
Quote:
-> I don't see how the 50D can effectively compete especially when the current on-line price of the D300 (with overwhelming features) is not that much more :O
How about higher available ISO speeds? For low light shooters, that would be an important consideration (if the 50D can deliver the needed image quality at it's higher settings).

An extra stop may be very important to many shooters, and if 50D ISO 6400 = D300 ISO 3200 for noise levels and detail captured, it could make a better choice for indoor sports and more (so that you could get away with using a zoom versus prime in more conditions).

Of course, we'll have to wait and see how the IQ and noise levels compare to find out if the extra ISO settings are just a marketing ploy, or if they're actually usable in a 15MP APS-C size sensor.

Old Aug 27, 2008, 4:27 PM   #10
NHL

May be to others, but I rarely goes that high - Heck I even use flash over IS or VR to get better lighting as I value contrast and saturation more in my enlargements...

Also I travel a lot and right now it's a real pain to enable GPS in any Canon cameras - This deficiency alone can leave my Canons home: http://www.dawntech.hk/di-GPS/pro_1.htm