Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 8, 2003, 3:43 PM   #1

Default 300d v 10d - REAL opinions

Does anyone have any REAL physical comparisons to make as opposed to spec comparisons?

Is the 10D worth the extra cash over the 300D?

Is the 10D production to stop as I've heard rumor?
CraigBFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2003, 4:24 PM   #2

No, the 10D is going to continue being produced for awhile (mis next year? Or more? I don't recall.) This is directly from:
Chuck Westfall
Director/Technical Information Dept.
Camera Division/Canon U.S.A., Inc.

on a different forum (www.robgalbraith.com)

I have not used the 300D, but some things are not an aspect of holding/using the camera. I have the 10D and I would not want to do without the 3 pics per second or the 9 pic buffer. Unless the 300D writes faster than the 10D (I don't believe it does) I would not want to be locked out of taking pictures that often. I regularly fire off 3 picture bursts. I would have to change my shooting style because of the smaller buffer in the 300D.

But you were asking for "REAL physcal comparisons" and I can't make those.

I would bet that not many people here have gone through the trouble of renting/buying both the 300D and 10D so you probably won't get many comments of the type you are looking for. I believe one or two people here have both... but not many.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 4:34 PM   #3
NHL

Quote:
Unless the 300D writes faster than the 10D (I don't believe it does) I would not want to be locked out of taking pictures that often.
No but the 300D does display the picture faster in review mode without all that 10D's progressive stuff !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
... Also 4 pictures buffer @ 2.5 frame/s on the Digital Rebel is plenty fast for most folks.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:20 PM   #4

I spent a fair bit of time looking at the two. This was going to be a posting of mine that was more qualitative than quantitative:

First off - it feels much lighter than the 10D, especially with the EF-S lens that it's bundled with. The feel of it isn't as nice as my elan 7, the plastic seems plasticier (is that a word). But it doesn't feel flimsy in any way.

Get a monopod - with the magnification ratio and a 75-300 lens I've gotten a lot of lens shake showing up in pictures that I took after dinner last night. Usually it wouldn't have been a problem but with a near 500mm zoom it is really bad.

I like the battery charger - my G2 had to charge the batteries in the camera. But the external charger is quite fast and doesn't tie up the camera obviously. Between the two batteries I had for the G2 and the one for the 300D I'm shooting for a while.

The grip on the right hand side is very deep, it made looking for a new camera bag hard. Most of the Lowepro bags try to hold the camera by the front of the grips and many bags didn't have enough play with the one side to attach the padding. I went with a Domke bag.

Something that is missing in the reviews is the inclusion of a Photoshop elements 2 CD-rom in the kit.

The best way to compareI found was to take a Rebel Ti and an elan 7. One's bigger, has a second command dial, a few more high end features. The other is smaller, makes you use a thumb and dial for some tasks but is less expensive.

Figure out what you're going to take photos of: for indoor 'family' shots a 300D with 420 flash will be better than a 10D and only the built in flash. If you're into to photograpy where you'll want to take a rapid succession of pictures (sports, some nature) then a 10D may be the way to go.

I sold my film rebel because I wanted the features of the Elan, but I didn't want to pay the extra money for the digital equivalent so I went with the smaller less expensive camera and put the difference in price into accessories.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 6:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa
for indoor 'family' shots a 300D with 420 flash will be better than a 10D and only the built in flash
Not many people realize how whimpy the built in flash is. I wanted to say that this is very true. If you will be taking lots of indoor (i.e. with flash) photography, and you won't be able to afford one if you get the 10D... then get the 300D and the external flash. You'll be much happier with the results.

And weight is something which shouldn't be sneezed at. After hiking for 2-3 hours, I really wish the 10D was lighter (of course, I've got a large zoom as well...)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote