Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 2, 2008, 1:53 PM   #1

Hey Folks...

I hope someone can give me advice. My daughter is headed off next week to study abroad in France for 3 months. We got her as a gift a Rebel XSi. I wanted to get her an extra battery. I see some generic batteries from websites like shopacc.com for like $10. At that price, I would get 2. BUT, am I throwing good money after bad? Are these generic batteries junk?
If anyone can help me out or know where a good place to buy batteries would be, I would be forever grateful. And if any advice on any other accessories, like filters and such, that she would need over there would be helpful as well. I want to get her what she needs, but after the camera and bag, we are tapped out!
Thanks for any help...

Desperate in Nashville....
volntitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:31 PM   #2

I've never had problems with Adorama's own in-house batteries for my cameras and see no reason why their XSI battery (http://www.adorama.com/IBYLPE5.html?...amp;item_no=18) at almost half the price of Canon's own should not be good also. Just be sure to purchase from a known quality camera company such as B&H, Adorama, etc. and avoid the e-bay scam artists.

However, be sure to read the rules governing carrying li-ions on aircraft. They can be severely limiting and some tsa people are non-bending on their personal interpretations of the rulings.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:06 PM   #3

Would it be best to take the batteries out and pack them on her checked luggage?
Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:23 PM   #4

No. I would suggest you keep the new bateries sealed in their packaging. In-camera is no problem, loose is. Read more here: http://safetravel.dot.gov/

Li-ion batteries have a lot of energy stored in them, so are potentially dangerous ... as you can find out instantly if you ever accidently short even an "empty" one in your pocket against your keys!

Be sure to read all the links the article above points to, including the "tips" section.

Anyway, hope your daughter has a great and safe trip!

Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:40 PM   #5

Thanks for the link. That will certainly be helpful. Are there any other accessories I need to get for her camera, short of another lens?
Old Sep 2, 2008, 4:04 PM   #6

Of course! A camera is like a new baby and needs all kinds of extra and expensive things in addition to TLC!:lol:

In reality the two most important things (before even extra lenses) are an extra battery and adequate memory. Then, of course, LENSES ... uh, well, after she figures out the kind of pitchurtakin' she wants do do and if she even likes it. So it will be several weeks, I am sure, before she learns all the basics of holding everything steady etc. and what her favorite kind of picture taking is.

Personally, I recommend that my newbie students who are trying to stick to a tight budget get the camera and kit lens for their classes ... then, after they find out what they love to shoot,decide on accessories and lenses.I'm assuming it came with the 18-55 lens. My next step up would be to suggest something with a longer reach, 200mm or better depending on budget, but that is because a lot of people do not get in as close as they physically may need to and the telephoto gives them extra reach.

Old Sep 2, 2008, 6:23 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I travel quite a lot and just back from the US and they have never had problems with my Li batteries in carry on. The only place that has is flying out of Egypt so I put them in checked luggage.

As for what else to get, longer lenses can be great but I would honestly say wait for a while until she knows what her kit can't do. It might be she wants longer lenses, it might be a better flash will be key, or possibly macro etc.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 1:59 PM   #8

I always buy my batteries from here:

http://sterlingtek.com/?gclid=CL-p1O...FQS7sgodOUYnQQ

You didn't say what lens she has.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:26 PM   #9

Cyberf828 wrote:
Quote:
I always buy my batteries from here:

http://sterlingtek.com/?gclid=CL-p1O...FQS7sgodOUYnQQ

You didn't say what lens she has.
Me too, they have great batteries.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 1:45 PM   #10

You might try going with a battery packmodel number BG-E5. This not only adds more features to the camera itself but gives you the option of using AAA batteries.
fotobugg is offline   Reply With Quote