Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 10, 2008, 8:45 PM   #1

Hi Steve - have two XTi's and use multiple lens' - the one I most consistantly use with the telephoto lens' - when I put the three auto focus lens' on will not focus - it wants too but can't hold the focus - any suggestions?? chuck
Chuck Ingerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:12 AM   #2
Administrator

I've moved this thread down to our Canon EOS dSLR Forum, where some of our Canon shooters may be able to help out. I'd give more information on the lens (focal range, aperture range) so that they know what equipment you're having a problem with. If you read the information from the front of the lens, that would probably help.

But, chances are, you are shooting in conditions that are too dark for the camera to see well enough to focus. For example, if you're trying to use a dimmer lens indoors, the camera's Autofocus Sensors may not be getting enough light so that it can "see" well enough to focus. Many lenses are dim enough to cause a problem with Autofocus in anything other than good outdoor lighting. I'd also make sure you don't have any filters on it that could be causing light loss (for example, you'll lose a lot of light if you have a Polarizer on it). If you see the same symptoms outside in bright light, then something else may be causing it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:38 PM   #3

Hi - using the three standard lens' plenty of light - usually on a golf course or in the swamps of SE GA - the other camera with the same lens' works perfectly (I use both cameras jointly - to keep from switching lens).

Have done all of the following:

Removed both batteries - cleaned all of the contact points - reinstalled batteries and reset camera to original settings.

Guess will just send it back to the factory?? chuck

Old Sep 11, 2008, 1:08 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Are you sure you are using the same AF mode on both cameras?

Check that they are the same and performing differently.

"The three standard lenses" - What does that mean?? There aren't three standard lenses.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 1:16 PM   #5

Sorry - the one which comes with the Camera - 15-55MM - an 80-200MM and 100-300MM -- each is auto focus.

Can't even begin to know how to check if the AF settings are the same - again I'm good at taking photos - but a novice in understanding the technology (after 9 MI's) even a bit more confused than most - c

Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:59 PM   #6

If the camera is still under warranty then the simplest solution is to give the camera in for repair. They will probably give it a good cleaning and calibrate it as well. My warranty allows me to send in my camera once a year for a check up and cleaning. Also send Canon Support and email and they should respond with some suggestions. Have you ever RESET the camera, if you have, then you may have inadvertently done something. ALWAYS read the manual very carefully before RESET or firmware upgrades.
Pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 6:41 AM   #7

Thank you - not under warranty but cost 200.00 to repair and clean sent and now back. So much to learn -

I'd like to thank each of you for your comments - and helpfulness - chuck

If you'd like to see some of the photos and the way I use them - http://whispersofthespirit.yuku.com/forums/40 (photo

Chuck