Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:22 AM   #1

My XSi is on the way, and I know right off I'll be wanting a battery grip. Planned to go with Canon's, but I've noticed a couple of 3rd party grips exist, and wondered if anyone had any experience with them. Can anyone recommend a good alternative to the Canon BG-E5 grip?
JakeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:41 PM   #2

I have a friend who has had the Opteka grip for his XT and then XTi for more than a year. He has no problems with it and uses his camera daily. I have the original grip, but might be tempted to buy a cheaper version for whatever my next camera will be.

I see there is a Sakar grip for the XSi but no Opteka yet. Heck, they might be one and the same manufacturer...
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 7:58 AM   #3

Do the after market grips come with battery trays for both AA and Lithium Ion? BG-E5 does. I keep the extra batt tray loaded in my bag for a hot re-load.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 3:25 PM   #4

I ended up buying a Phottix BP-450D on eBay from seller etefore. I saw some positive reviews of the grip (and others by the company) on other websites, and etefore is supposed to be one of ebays best sellers. 2 LP-E5 batteries, the grip, cages for the lp-e5 batteries or 6 AA batteries. Under $80. I'll try to remember to post here when it comes and I get a good impression of it to let people know if it is worth the money or not.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:59 PM   #5

I recently bought the BG-E5 and like it. The 2 batteries run parallel so you can run with 1 battery or both. It also allows for 6x AA batteries as backup if you need power and can get to a local store.

A buddy of mine told me to look at Ansmann Battery Grip. They offer the same portrait functions as the BG-E5 but it is a built in lithium battery so you just plug the grip into the AC adapter.

I can't the url to their battery grip section. I was going to pick one up instead of the Canon but there was a 6 week waiting period for the store that was going to bring it in for me. I didn't want to wait that long.

I also found that the Ansmann grib is less than the Canon Grip after you buy the 2nd battery for it.
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 11:18 AM   #6

Just a followup. Received the Phottix grip and batteries, and have been playing with them for a couple weeks now. I've always been wary of non-OEM products, but I have to say I'm extremely impressed, especially given the price. The grip is indistinguishable from the Canon grip save for the lack of a Canon logo. The batteries seem equivalent to the OEM batteries in every way.

The grip and two battieries for under $80, I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I'd also highly recommend seller etefore on ebay. Shipped quickly (considering it shipped from HK) without a hitch.