Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:54 AM   #11
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

An interesting link. Sad, but I'm sure true - the silly marketing nonsense gets in the way of true photographic improvement...

And I'm sure it's not limited to Canon.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/techdigest/...k-e870a33.html


JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:46 AM   #12
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

I'm afraid the next headlines wars are who's going to get the highest-ISO...
Why don't we just do away with the light which is what photography is all about? :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:14 PM   #13
Super Moderator
 
peripatetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,599
Default

I think people have missed the point of the HD video feature.

This is emphatically NOT a feature being driven from the P&S market.

One of the main markets for the 5D has been photojournalism, and the ability to capture HD video will be very important there, where still photographers are increasingly being asked to provide video too. The line is beginning to blur.

All-in-all it looks like a very decent upgrade. Nothing in particular to compel me to rush out and "upgrade" from my current 5D but when it comes time it will be a natural choice, seeing as how Canon still has the lenses I want and no-one else does at the moment.

Ignore the competition for a second and compare to the 5D MkI...
  • Better resolution.
    Better processor, potentially 2-stops noise improvement (from a camera which was the high-ISO king for 30 months).
    AF micro-adjustment for lenses.
    High quality LCD, good for something other than menus and histograms.
    Live view with contrast dectect AF.
    Video.
    Anti-dust feature.
    Cheaper than the MkI when it was introduced!!
    Better weather/dust sealing.

What's not to like?
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:28 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1
Default

From the early samples, 5D mark II looks quite good!

I just think 5D mark II came a bit too late...

Most of the features are not new already....

you may find 5D mark II samples here:

http://dcuser.net/canon/canon-eos-5d...ouncement.html
alan328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 5:53 PM   #15
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
One of the main markets for the 5D has been photojournalism, and the ability to capture HD video will be very important there, where still photographers are increasingly being asked to provide video too. The line is beginning to blur.
Excellent point; However this needs to be proven...
1. Do press photographers also need fast frame rate such as the MrkIII?
2. I guess shooting @ 1080p with 30fps would compensate for the 3fps but then it all depends on how well this contrast AF responds in the movie mode (i.e. not the 9 AF phase detectors) or in the dark wedding venues
3. Does photojournalism really need 21Mp?

I agree that's a great upgrade to the Mrk1 but the competition can't be ignored though - This camera has to hold the fort for at least another 18 months...
-> Imagine Nikon stuffing the A900 sensor in their D700!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 8:35 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
wsandman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 318
Default

Law enforcement and Private Eyes:

Canon has a data verification feature for all their dSLRs except the Rebel series. Someone in the legal profession (Law enforcement, etc.) can shoot video and still shots of events with one device. You wouldn't need long videos, just enough to prove "the point". I overlooked this possible use, but it could be a selling ponit.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 9:09 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
rjseeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Taylor Mill, Kentucky
Posts: 2,398
Default

wsandman1 wrote:
Quote:
Law enforcement and Private Eyes:

Canon has a data verification feature for all their dSLRs except the Rebel series. Someone in the legal profession (Law enforcement, etc.) can shoot video and still shots of events with one device. You wouldn't need long videos, just enough to prove "the point". I overlooked this possible use, but it could be a selling ponit.
Not a new or distinguishing feature...Nikon has it too.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:26 PM   #18
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Not a new or distinguishing feature...Nikon has it too.
Actually Nikon has really integrated their cameras very well - Right now all my pictures are GPS tagged... To do this on a Canon is both very expensive and cumbersome (i.e. requiring at least 3 set of batteries)

I did not know what I was shooting at the time on my trip: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=86

-> and voila':


NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:49 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
squirl033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,720
Default

NHL wrote:
Quote:
peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
One of the main markets for the 5D has been photojournalism, and the ability to capture HD video will be very important there, where still photographers are increasingly being asked to provide video too. The line is beginning to blur.
Excellent point; However this needs to be proven...
1. Do press photographers also need fast frame rate such as the MrkIII?
2. I guess shooting @ 1080p with 30fps would compensate for the 3fps but then it all depends on how well this contrast AF responds in the movie mode (i.e. not the 9 AF phase detectors) or in the dark wedding venues
3. Does photojournalism really need 21Mp?

I agree that's a great upgrade to the Mrk1 but the competition can't be ignored though - This camera has to hold the fort for at least another 18 months...
-> Imagine Nikon stuffing the A900 sensor in their D700!
unfortunately, in the sizes posted, you can't tell much difference between the 5D MkII samples and shots taken with a 30D...

personally, i couldn't care less about video, live preview, face detectionor high-ISO performance. i almost never shoot above ISO 1000, and rarely above 400. i don't need the VGA-resolution LCD, though i can see where it could be nice to have. the self-cleaning sensor is a very nice feature (have it on my 40D), but what i really want to know is, will the MkII perform any better than the original 5D when it comes to making prints? that's the only thing that really matters, and unless you're making prints the size of bus murals, i don't see the extra megapixels being that big an advantage. i usually print in sizes between 8x12 and 12x18, occasionally 16x20, and frankly, if the MkII doesn't offer a noticeable improvement over the 5D in terms of imageand print quality at those print sizes, i'll just wait for the 5D price to drop, and score a killer full-frame landscape DSLR for chump change....




squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 8:07 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
wsandman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 318
Default

I learned my lesson about being first to purchase new models, I'm planning on waiting. I don't have the guts or funding that NHL had to switch to another system. I plan on waiting until the price drops, if I decide to upgrade at all. I find the 5d provides me everything I need except the sensor cleaning features. I was somewhat disappointed thatthe frame rate remained slow. I like the fact that Nikon has eliminated the separate sports shooting model inits professional line.

I'm not big on the face detection video, etc. But clearly Canon has thought this out with the lens being offered with the new model.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:55 AM.