Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 19, 2008, 8:13 AM   #21

I like when new cameras come out alot of people start selling they old stuff to buy the new. :G
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:54 AM   #22

Looking at 5D mark II ignoring Nikon or Sony makes this a great camera..

Canon missed or will miss the boat in the following atleast for me

1) AF- 9 Points. Give me a break. D300 has 51 point AF and now sells at 1300 used and 1600 new.
2) Auto ISO Goof up. Not sure how many see this as useful. But shooting wildlife will definitely help the camera taking control over the ISO
3) Wireless transfer of images without needing to buy a 800$ accessory(Just wait for 3 more months and Nikon will add that feature to the D400 and sell at 1800)
4) I am ok with adding another 200 g for a hard disk. I am pretty sure we can have a Hard disk of say 20GIG inside the camera.
5) Eye Control Focus system from the film camera. This will make it different to try out atleast

I personally feel, at 12MP improving the DR to two stops would ahve been a better improvement with a Weather sealing and 45point AF system.

Atleast 21 point AF.

IMPO the Canon 5D is good for say another three months before Nikon thrashes this doomed evolution

And canon doesnt need Nikon to cut canons sale. They have the 5D mark II that will pin down 1Ds Mark III.

But this gives some hope for a mark IV of 1D. Hopefully its not just abt improved noise and mega pixel, but its more of perfected AF system and better Dynamic range and PHOTOGRAPHER friendly features.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:04 PM   #23
Super Moderator

Consider the target market for the 5D and now 5DII:
  1. Wedding/Portrait photographers.[/*]
  2. Landscape photographers.[/*]
  3. Photojournalists.
[/*]
And pretty much in that order of importance too.

They have weather sealed it - by the look of things at least up to the same level as the D300/D700 with its popup flash. Though for me I really don't care.

Auto ISO - well they have put it in at least, but for those people who care about these things the Nikon implementation is supposedly better.

AF system - well they were stuck - they could hardly use the system from the 1DMkIII could they? So they have stuck with the 9+6 points from the original 5D, but this is not an action camera and I don't know anyone who has any real problems with the 5D AF in its target market. There are always a few moaners, but basically it's fine for the markets it addresses. It's not an action camera. I think 50 point AF systems are stupid. In fact I think 15 point AF systems are stupid. I want 3 or 5 at most, preferably with eye control to make it workable. For the camera's target market 50 point AF is not necessary.

[Actually the new Panasonic G1 is pointing the direction for future AF systems - with a really top-grade contrast detection AF system you can choose to focus ANYWHERE in the frame.]

As for noise - Canon are claiming 2 stops better than the 5D i.e. as good as the D700/D3 even with 21Mp. We shall have to wait and see.

But I reckon despite what the forums say, this camera is very well aimed atits market and is going to sell big.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 1:41 PM   #24
NHL

wsandman1 wrote:
Quote:
I don't have the guts or funding that NHL had to switch to another system.
Actually I have not switched. My largest lens collection is still Canon - I only get by with two lenses with my D300, a 16-50 f/2.8 and the 50-500!
... and I'm still using my 1DMrkII: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=11

I guess I'm waiting for something revolutionary from Canon which has yet to materialize...
--> The problem is they haven't really update their bodies for years: this 5DII body can be traced all the way back to the 10D, and their 1D series does not fare any better: Did anyone checked this series against their old film 1D's body? Identical!!!

What's clear here is in response to the A900, they have just canibalised their 1DsMrkIII. Let just wait and see how the next sales figures update is going to shape like. What a difference a year makes: http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2008/archives/1685

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
[Actually the new Panasonic G1 is pointing the direction for future AF systems - with a really top-grade contrast detection AF system you can choose to focus ANYWHERE in the frame.]
My D300 has this since last year !
... and my Konica/Minolta A2's (with one of the best EVF) had it several years ago.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 1:44 PM   #25

Impressive high ISO performance from a beta version of the 5D Mark II (40 sample photos at www.dpreview.com). Looking VERY good! If this is any indication of how a production model will perform.

Nikon might soon be quaking in their boots if they aren't already. Looks better than even the D700/D3 at high ISO's IMHO.. But more pictures are needed, more testing...and on a production model to be sure. And it's selling (msrp) for almost $500 less.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 1:48 PM   #26

Absolutely right NHL. I again stress some of the canon improvements are more of marketing strategy than real Photographic evolution.

While the growth of Nikon from a D100 to a D300 is a good evolution of photographic tool.

I often get a feeling that Canon knows the need to give a better product and they do have everything they need to give one except the conservative approach to kill their previous models is stopping them from doing.

Didnt D300 Kill D2h and D2X by all means? Didnt Nikon take the bold decision to evolutionise the way cameras will look, feel and work?

It will take a bigger fiasco like 1Ds Mark III failure and a future 1Ds Mark IV failure due to their own conservative approach.

High time Canon forgets about the line of products they have now and concentrate on the moving trend and fight back the competition with a camera that is more PHOTOGRAPHER specific with respect to needs and evolution.

May be a Body IS which will couple with Lens IS and a Eye focus system will definitely put them way ahead if they can achieve. I am pretty sure they are capable. But are they bold enough to take that decision?

and what about Lens's. Nikon 14-24 no matter what one says is a fantastic piece of glass even comparable or sometimes better than the other 14mm primes from all models including carl zeiss.

canon should look at a faster (AF)85mm F1.2 (thats evolution to me), a 100-300 F2.8 lens with IS even if may hurt the 70-200 F2.8 sales, a macro with IS, a 200-500 F4 lens with IS. But now i am wondering if Nikon will get me the features i need. I am looking forward for the next one year on the Nikon Development. I will add to my mark III a set up from Nikon or Sony hopefully.

And i am not a troll, my fortune is in canon lineup
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 1:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Impressive high ISO performance from a beta version of the 5D Mark II (40 sample photos at http://www.dpreview.com). Looking VERY good! If this is any indication of how a production model will perform.
I just read a review of the Nikon D90 and it showed very impressive ISO performance up to 1600.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 3:29 PM   #28

No doubt Nikon's 14-24 f/2.8 is a great lens. Which makes me wonder...where's Canon's?? They need something to fill the under-24mm wide-zoom range. How about a Canon EF 14-24 f/2.8L?? Canon already has a classic in the 24-70 f/2.8 and their 70-200 f/2.8 IS. Other than that I think Canon has one of the best selections in the biz.

Umm perhaps a L series 150 or 180 f/2.8 Macro while their at it.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote