Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 25, 2008, 6:50 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Don't forget the 1000D - July 2008.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 8:37 PM   #12

All good points. And I bought the XSi on Tuesday. I got it for $799 CDN. That turned into $935, taxes included, with a UV filter. I haven't had much opportunity to use it yet though, it's been a hectic week. But I got my gadget bug fix and I plan to spend a good chunk of this weekend experimenting.

Exciting stuff!
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:46 PM   #13

I bought the XSi and it's my first DSLR. I thought about it and here's why I decided to go with it:

1. 12.2 megapixels is more than I'll ever need. It can print off a very nice 8.5 x 11 and probably larger at an acceptable resolution (considering it will be viewed from a few feet back).

2. It gets great reviews. CNet says that the image quality is best in class. And that's in a very respectable class with Olympus and Nikkon.

3. Price is right.

4. If you can find a place that sells DSLR, they'll sell Canon.

I know that it doesn't have tons of great features like 35 point metering and all the extra crap but in the end it's the sharpness and depth of color which will impress your friends.
Cheesefood75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:54 PM   #14

Cheesefood75 wrote:
Quote:
I bought the XSi and it's my first DSLR. I thought about it and here's why I decided to go with it:

1. 12.2 megapixels is more than I'll ever need. It can print off a very nice 8.5 x 11 and probably larger at an acceptable resolution (considering it will be viewed from a few feet back).

2. It gets great reviews. CNet says that the image quality is best in class. And that's in a very respectable class with Olympus and Nikkon.

3. Price is right.

4. If you can find a place that sells DSLR, they'll sell Canon.

I know that it doesn't have tons of great features like 35 point metering and all the extra crap but in the end it's the sharpness and depth of color which will impress your friends.
I wonder if this is one of those junk-marketing posts.

You'd think these goombahs could come up with something more imaginative/believeable than "duh, it's the best camera in the whole wide world!"
Old Oct 23, 2008, 10:30 AM   #15

Nope, just a new member.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:02 AM   #16

Cheesefood75 wrote:
Quote:
Nope, just a new member.
If that's the case, please accept my sincere apology.

Sometimes we get people signing up, no details in their profile, and only sales/marketing-oriented blurbs. (And not very well thought-out ones at that.) No questions, no intelligent advice, etc. Some of them are kinda funny.

In any case, welcome. You'll find a wealth of information and knowledge here. Don't take my jumping the gun as an indication of how helpful the rest of the members are.

Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:21 PM   #17

No problem. I just found this forum last night. I've just really decided to get serious about my photography hobby and I'm looking for a place to help me transition from noob to semi-pro.

I did a lot of research on cameras. While money isn't a huge object for me, I'm not getting compensated for my pictures so I needed to make sure I got a camera that will last me more than a year. The XSi fit the bill.

The good thing about buying a camera is that photography, as an art, doesn't change very much. There's not as much planned obsolescence with cameras unlike computers, phones, iPods, and practically everything else.

The old days of digital photography were riskier because manufacturers were stingy with their megapixels. We're now just about at the apex of needed megapixels (for non-commercial use).

Yes, Canon will release a new Rebel within another year. Manufacturers need to do this to stay relevant and get their needed press. It'll have more megapixels (because most consumers think they'll need 20 megapixels or eventually a gigapixel). It'll have more metering modes. Basically, the 50D will become the next Rebel. But the product of a camera is it's photograph and I'm not sure that non-professionals will find use for the additional features.

If you're looking to make serious money with your camera then you wouldn't even consider a Rebel and you wouldn't be on this board (or any other) asking questions. You are probably being judged critically for your pictures. But knowing as much about you as I currently know I can tell that at best your pictures will end up on your living room wall or maybe getting an award on Flickr. You're probably not going to spend a week setting up a photoshoot to incorporate tricky lighting which necessitates advanced light metering and focal points.

However, if I were a pro photographer I might have a rebel on hand for personal use. I wouldn't want to bring my $37k Hasselblad to the beach just to take pictures of my kids building sand castles but I'd still want high quality and true color tones.

I believe, from the dozen or so reports available online, that the XSi is best-in-class in terms of output. You can probably go right to the 40D body-only if you already have Canon lenses and don't feel that the XSi offers all that you want.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:25 PM   #18

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/...tal_rebel_xsi/

This is the best way to tell if the XSi is right for you.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:27 PM   #19

Cheesefood75 wrote:
Quote:

to save you some more time, boldstar already bought the camera back in September(his post just before you joined the thread).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 1:33 PM   #20

Cheesefood75 wrote:
Quote:

I'm not sure how that link would be helpful to someone considering a purchase... but like JohnG pointed out, I've already bought one.

Also, I have a feeling that lots of people use this discussion board... newbies, pros and everyone in between.