Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 17, 2008, 6:51 AM   #1

I'm sitting on the fence right now, contemplating my first dSLR. More than likely I'll purchase the Canon XSi. In fact, I might buy it this morning when the store opens.

But now I'm worried that I'll buy it and something newer and better will come along next week. I know that might always be the case, and that you can't put off a purchase like this because you'll keep doing it indefinitely. But I'm reading about the release of the Canon 50D. My main concern is that Canon will release an "XRi" with the new Digic 4 technology right after I drop nearly a G on a new camera and accessories.

Any thoughts?
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2008, 7:50 AM   #2

Right now, the XSi is a lot of bang for the buck. 12.2 mp for under $700 can't be beat.
Get it now.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:14 AM   #3

If its just next week, and you aren't in a hurry... just wait. Its not like the stores are going to run out of their XSi inventories anytime soon. But if ya gotta have it now...
velocitycurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:26 AM   #4

velocitycurve wrote:
Quote:
If its just next week, and you aren't in a hurry... just wait. Its not like the stores are going to run out of their XSi inventories anytime soon. But if ya gotta have it now...
I didn't mean "next week" literally. And obviously I made up the "XRi" product name.

I was just looking for thoughts regarding an XSi replacement. I wonder how soon the next version might be released. The 50D came pretty quick on the heels of the 40D. I wonder if the same might happen with the XSi.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:30 AM   #5

The XSi came out in January of this year. It will be at least a year from now before it is replaced. So if you're solely looking at a Canon camera I wouldn't sweat a replacement coming out in the next month or so.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:36 AM   #6

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
The XSi came out in January of this year. It will be at least a year from now before it is replaced. So if you're solely looking at a Canon camera I wouldn't sweat a replacement coming out in the next month or so.
Thanks for the input JohnG. But wasn't the release of the 50D a surprise? I'm wondering if Canon might do the same thing with the XSi. You know... in an effort to market to amateurs they might fix the live view and release a new version. But maybe the 50D situation was unique.

Also, do you think that camera prices will go up or down as we draw closer to Christmas time?
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:33 AM   #7

They brought out the 50D because of the pressure from Nikon. I don't think that the D60 is putting any pressure on Canon for a lower priced entry level DSLR.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:55 PM   #8

Does the XSi do what you want? Does it feel good in your hand? Will it (with lenses) take the frames you like to take?

I answered all these yes and bought it in June. 3 weeks later the 1000D came out. So be it.

There will always be "better" and newer and glitzier down the road. Do you remember your first computer or even last year's now "obsolete"dual core model ?

Get what you like and enjoy it. The lenses are more important anyway and you take those with you.

Good luck.

JG

JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 6:23 PM   #9

I have heard many say that when you choose a DSLR system the body is not of utmost importance rather buying into a series of lenses is.
Rather than be bewildered with a choice of body look into a lens system that you would like to possess and can afford and maintain and build from there.
Pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 7:10 AM   #10

Since first being introduced in 2003 there have been how many Dgital Rebels?

300D / Digital Rebel September 2003
350D
400D
450D / xsi March 2008

So it took them about 5 years to introduce 4 cameras?

At that rate they may not have another one till next summer, at which pint you may be wondering when the next one to come out will be!
tobybear is offline   Reply With Quote