Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 11, 2003, 1:49 PM   #1

Default Canon EOS In-door Sports Shot Quality ?

We are considering the EOS with the Sigma fixed F stop lenses recommended by many other users in this forum.

Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX

How is the Canon Eos Digital quailty when taking in door sports shots ? (i.e. Gymnastics and tennis) 8)

Does the camera have an AF Assist ?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. :?:
jlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2003, 8:20 PM   #2

On what camera? Canon makes 4 digital SLR EOS cameras: 1Ds, 1D, 10D, 300D.

The 1D is made for sports shooting. Its very fast and expensive. The 1Ds is even more expensive and not fast enough. Its designed for studio shooting (although it works outside of course.) The 10D might focus fast enough. I have one, but I haven't tried it that way. Focus tracking might have trouble on people who are running... I don't know. It might not as well.

I don't know how fast those lenses are compared to USM. True Canon USM lenses can certainly handle it.

As far as I know, no DSLR from Canon has an AF assist light. You can get an add-on flash unit which does have one, and it will use it. You can even tell it to not use the flash (but use the AF assist.)

I'm not sure the 70-200 will have a long enough reach for either of those sports. The few times I've been to a Gymnastics meet, they had several events going on around the gym. This meant that one or two events where close (and the 200 range would work) but there would be further stuff which probably wasn't.

You might get away with it in tennis. If you sat at mid court then it could work. If you were at one end... I don't know. It might... but they can also be fairly far away.

Oh, I didn't think of the smaller sensor magnification crop. That might make it work. I don't know.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2003, 10:25 AM   #3

Thanks Eric,

We are looking at purchasing the new D300.

Based on your input, I think we'll have to look into other possible lenses and flash options a little more.
jlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2003, 12:00 PM   #4

Glad to help. If you purchace from a full service shop, often you can rent lenses (some even apply part of the cost to the purchase.) You might want the Sigma 70-200 EX anyways, I hear nothing but good things about it. For the quality, it's a good price. Compare it to the Canon, and it's a steal (much cheaper.)

The problem is that longer lenses that also have a good low fstop are heavy and expensive. There are some fixed length lenses that have a low fstop, but not many zooms.

Good luck finding that right set of equipment!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 12:25 AM   #5

Has any one posted up some pics of the D300 shooting action sports like running, football, soccer or better yet Paintball. I shoot a bit of tournament paintball. I know its not "indoor" but I am looking for some info on how it handles fast action and I would also like to see some burst mode shots to see how well it works.

I am having to resist the urge. I am aching to replace my Oly 600l

Robert
RobAGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 12:59 AM   #6
NHL

Quote:
As far as I know, no DSLR from Canon has an AF assist light. You can get an add-on flash unit which does have one, and it will use it. You can even tell it to not use the flash (but use the AF assist.)
... Aren't you forgetting your own 10D's Eric? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Checkout C.Fn-05, the last time I check the AF-assist beam is there. May be you've disabled this feature just like me because it's blinding people with the built-in.

BTW you can also have an assist IR beam with the ST-E2 and not just with a flash (cost as much as one though)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 1:27 AM   #7

one of the larger problems you will encounter on the 300D isn't the framerate (2.5 fps) but the buffer depth. in continuous mode you get a maximum of 4 shots till full. this could problematic at times in shooting action.

also you have to deal with strobe recycle times too.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote