Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 27, 2008, 7:10 AM   #1

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but was wondering if anyone could help. I have a Canon EOS 400D and recently got the battery pack and an extra battery for it. I got it so I could use it for longer, but also because people said it meant the flash didn't have to wait to reload which is really annoying. Since getting it I haven't seen a huge difference with the flash reload time and after about 10-15 quick shots i have to keep waiting about 10 seconds for it to load.
Is there a way I can get it to take lots of photos quite quickly without it having to stop and load or will that always happen. Or would an external flash help.
Also I have a macro lens and have trouble taking photos of things i can sell because of the flash. Would a macro ring/flash help this? Also what type of external flash/macro ring are good but not too expensive?
I am basically a beginner when it comes to camera terms/ settings and dont really know what they all do even though I have been taking photos for a while.
cwaddell27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2008, 7:14 AM   #2

The problem is the flash. It's protecting itself from overheating. An external flash will help somewhat - an external flash with external battery pack is the best way. But, what are you taking photos of that you need to take more than 15 quick shots at a time? Even external flashes can be damaged by overuse in a small period of time.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 7:29 AM   #3

I dont have to take all the shots so quickly, but have lots of things to photograph and it gets it done faster. I usually take them a few seconds apart after moving the object and getting different angles, but it still ends up taking a while to load the flash. Have been taking close up photos of different objects to sell on ebay just so the photos look a little more professional and show the details a bit better. If it's because the flash is overheating then I wont take as many so quickly. But was thinking about getting an external flash that wasn't too expensive for my camera next. Can you reccomend any? Also for mainly close up/macro shots would a macro flash ring work better?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 7:55 AM   #4

While I do a lot of flash work, I don't do macro. So I'm not the best person to advise on flashes for that work. Ask in the lighting forum - I think that's your best bet. I believe setting up a small 'light tent' is the prefered way to go but ask there.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 7:56 AM   #5

Ok thanks.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 12:38 AM   #6

You may want to consider using continuous lighting for your shots instead of a flash.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 3:27 AM   #7

I use a 430EX and at times use remote speedlite transmitter ST-E2

this seems to remove any flash prodlems.

robert2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 10:44 AM   #8

Hello,

Just a side note about external flash recharge times.

Not sure if you knew this, but recharge time with NiMH batteries on an external flash unit is a lot (a lot) faster than using alkaline or even NiCd. (I hear - also mentioned above - that an external battery pack is even faster, but I can't be bothered to look into that yet.)

Also, you can turn down your flash (put it on 1/2 power or 1/4 power) and open up your aperture & then the flash doesn't have to put out as much flash. I think this speeds up the recycle time as well and let's you take more consecutive shots, but as mentioned above, at some point in time you have to let your flash rest or it'll get damaged.

As for shooting things for eBay, I haven't tried this, but are you using a light box? To me, if you get a light box, you get more even lighting to illuminate the object you are photographing.

And the continuous light thing sounds good for eBay stuff. Maybe be a full-spectrum light bulb or at least a 4100-5000K colour temperture light bulb so that you don't have to fiddle with colour balance so much?

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote