Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 12, 2003, 6:26 AM   #1

Default Sensor Cleaning

I've been into a photo shop and handled the new Rebel Digital EOS and I was a lot more impressed than I thought I would be. I have also been looking at the new Olympus E-1, but its very pricey. The E-1, however, does have a sensor cleaner (sonic wave when camra is powered) and is sealed against dust and moisture in the camera design. Have any of you Canon users had problems with dust on your sensor - how prevelant is this problem? How much is service to have it cleaned and how often is it neccesary? Does anyone clean the sensor themselves per an article I read in The Digital Image? THX.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2003, 7:20 AM   #2
NHL

I have my 10D close to 6 months now and only cleaned it once... and that's because I was looking for the dusts by zooming in. Most of the time you don't realize it's there since it's on a filter, and depending on what you shoot, is out of focus and not on the actual plane of the sensor itself.

But I did clean it once by using a squeeze bulb (Giottos)... It took all of 15s! but it's better still if one doesn't have to do it at all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW Most cameras as well as lenses are sealed against dust and moisture especially some 'L' lenses where they are actually water resistant (even the filter slot is rubber sealed) for sport photography... The problem has always been in breaking this seal when you change the lens...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2003, 2:07 PM   #3

Default Detailed Sensor cleaning

A great on-line sensor cleaning tutorial is here:
http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
Old Oct 12, 2003, 3:04 PM   #4
NHL

IMO don't think it's a good idea to touch the filter/sensor @ all!

... The manual even says so, if something really sticks on, it's not dust anymore, but residue from something else which makes it double hard to remove... and makes the problem even worse.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 7:41 PM   #5

I have not tried it yet on ccd; bought at a proffessional gear shop a speck grabber and they gave their blessing to clean my ccd with it.
Nice thing about this device is you can wash it afterwards with water and even soap thus no imported dust/finger oil. It works on lenses aswell and is sort of soft rubber. When I will clean my ccd with it, I will not wipe it (as promoted elsewere) but just tip the places were dust is, like indeed a speck grabber not a window wiper.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2003, 8:41 PM   #6

THX everyone. Anyone know the cost of a sensor cleaning if it becomes necessary? THX.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 7:22 PM   #7

Default Cleaning the Digital Rebel Sensor

NHL, you said you only had to clean it once in 10 months, I think that is pretty good. How dusted up was the sensor at that time if you have an idea. Also how often do you change lens? Our company uses one of these and I have been designated as the SME on the camera so if it ever has to be cleaned, I am likely to be the one to have to do it. One gentlemen over at DPreview suggest a Hurricane Blower Blub but I haven't figured out where to get one of those. I know on the DPreview site there big in to swabbing over there with eclispe fluid and pec-pads on a 'make it yourself device'. Myself, I am not to keen on that idea (although it sounds like it does work). In fact I have already said that if I have to clean the AA filter on this thing other than using a blower blub (read swab it) I will want a letter from management that I am not responsible if anything gets damaged. I really wonder just how friagle this AA Filter really is or if this is overblown.

I would wonder if anyone has any experince in having to send the camera in for a cleaning. What the cost was and what the turn around time would be.

If anyone can respond, what camera do you have, how long, how many cleanings and what method did you use?
Bill100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 7:35 PM   #8
NHL

Quote:
NHL, you said you only had to clean it once in 10 months,
... I wrote 6 months (~ every 3 months), the 10D is probably not out 10 months ago or there's probably a replacement announcement already! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeap, I'm not very keen on touching that protective filter for fear of scratching it or leave some kind of residue which end up even harder to clean up after...

The pump I use is a large one and looks just like a rocket (really it has 4 fins) on the 4 legged stand. It's made by Giottos and I 've found it @ Penn Cameras store.

You only clean when you notice the spots on light background like open sky (and not on a fix schedule). Beside theses spots are mostly defocus and very easily clone out in Photoshop. In highly detailed area no one will find them even if you know where to look for.
Old Oct 17, 2003, 1:20 PM   #9

Default NHL, Thanks for the update

NHL: Thanks for the update. I went out to the Penn Camera site and the item is called 'rocket air' and your right, it does have vins. I will suggest to our departmental manager that we order one of these for cleaning the AA filter on the DR we have. As a D10 owner for the past six months (sorry, I meant to type six on my last post but had 10d on my mind), is the dust issue overblowen in your view? Do you feel that the Rocket Air device will take care of most 'real dust' problems. I ask this because I am creating a list of do's and don'ts for user of this equipment. One of the don'ts is 'don't remove the lens unless you intend to change it for another and don't take the lens off to just look inside the mirror box or view the sensor'. One of the do's is, change the lens with the camera pointed down and do it quickly. I also ask this because I am wondering if an extended warranty would be best to purchase on this cameras (from say MACK) if it would cover CMOS cleaning (don't know if they do) should the blower not take care of the problem. Thinking I might suggest that to the boss.
Bill100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 3:14 PM   #10

You mean this thing?

http://www.penncamera.com/store/view.cfm?id=4173

Why does this work so well for cleaning a sensor? I thought it was not recommended to use air to clean?

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote