Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 12, 2003, 8:14 AM   #1

Default Canon Rebel digital out-performs 10D and others...

On the Popular Photography magazine, the November issue, full test report reveals the Canon Regel digital beats almost other digital camera in AF, the Rebel matchs the 10D's performance in most lighting levels down to EV2, about 0.4 second form EV 7 to 12, faster than the Fuji S2 pro. From EV 6 to 3, 0.40 0.55, the Rebel is faster than the Olympus E1 and the 1Ds and the Nikon D1X. At EV 2, the Rebel is twice faster than the EOS 1Ds. Resolution is extremely high, high detail in highlight and shadow, image quality is extremely high, AF is very fast.

well, looks like to me, other than the plastic body, clearly, the Canon Rebel digital will be the best selling camera in term of quality, performance and the unbeatble price of less than $1,000 (with lens).

Suprisingly, the low-price EF-S 18-55mm performs so well also, at least for the price, it's a steal... cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2003, 11:24 AM   #2

so the AF is fast? So?

Extremely high detail? Erhm.. no? The pics from the preview camera is not especially high. And my friends 300d aint so special either when it comes to detail.

But sure, the price is unbeatable...
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2003, 4:16 PM   #3

Don't know about yours, all of my pictures are pefect the way I want them to be, one thing for sure it beats the "heck" out of the D100 on the perfromance for about $800 less.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 5:29 PM   #4

beats the heck out of it? really? in what way?
Old Oct 12, 2003, 7:18 PM   #5

I'm curious to know how an entry level Dslr can beat a pro grade Dslr. If that were the case, wouldn't most of the pro's be tossing their Nikon & Canon pro gear away and getting the 300D?

For some reason, I don't think so.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 8:27 AM   #6

Some magazines like to tease their readers into buying something; "Now you can have a 10D, which is lighter, compacter, cheaper and better created by the same manufacturer. It is only named 300D". If you call the magazine to learn more, they may even confess that at such and so point camera x or y is better than 300D.

Looking at all the on-line review sites I see a different story; Yes the 300D is real value for money, almost upto 10D quality, the difference is hardly noticable. And autofocus speed? With what lens?
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 2:45 PM   #7

I suggest that your guys read the full test report from the November issue of the Popular photography magazine. If you're the longtime reader of this magazine, you know this is a professional test performs on camera, they don't usually use it to promote any camera for the commercial purpose, each of the test must meet the exact standards and criteria set out for the test. It's sad but true that the Canon Rebel seems to be outperformed some of the mid-level digital SLRs since it use the same DIGIT technology combined with the CMOS chip to produce extremely low noise picture compare to the CCD chip on the D-100. I do not consider the D100 is a pro-level camera, it has some of the features but should not be qualify as a true pro DSLR, compare to the 10D, it still a long way to catch up, the 10 D has a better built body, better and advanced technology built in. Canon has so many affordable USM lenses that user can buy to use with the 10D or the Rebel, much less expensive than Nikon lenses, what is the cheapest price that you can buy a Nikon zoom lens with AF-S? Do they have any of those lenses for lens than $120, I don't think so...and Canon...they do have those lenses exist and perform well also. Remember, Canon probably on the fifth generation of USM now and Nikon just about to start their 2nd general of AF-S technology.

The Canon Rebel has almost the features of the 10 D with a cheaper built body, less a few custom settings, have no manual selection of meter modes (you can override this if you want) and AF mode than the 10D, but for $600 dollars less, they have to cut corner somewhere right?. Other than that, it 's a fine camera, have almost all the features of any SLR, easy to use, and the price, yes is unbeatable.

Don't get me wrong, I use to have the D-100 with a combination of some AF-S lenses, I gave it up and let it go since I acquired the 10D and few other Canon EF-L lenses, and with the Rebel I now have for the fun part of it, the results from this little burger surprises me quite a bit, I can't tell the difference in most cases and the cheap lens that came with the camera that I called crap, it also performs very well in most condition. I'm also a longtime Nikon film camera users, I still love my F5, F100 and the FM2 SP with several good high-speed Nikon AF-S lenses, but when it comes to digital photography, I'm 100% Canon...

The rebel is very friendly to use and I think it certainly does a decent job for the beginner and advanced amateur in digital photography. There are some comments about the Canon digital SLR should have the spot meter built in instead of partial metering mode. To me, that it's not important. If I want to use the spot metering, I will use a true/separate handheld spot meter, not the one that built-in the camera, most of them cannot give you the exact 1-degree metering angle reading any way.

So it's up to you to decide, pick up one and try it for yourself to see what it can do, photography is the art of seeing, seeing light and the camera is just a useful tool to help you to do that. Just remember the camera will not see the light the way your eyes do, so if you expect a perfect picture right off of the camera, you may be very disappointed from your first results. Cheers

Here are some of the D-SLRs that I consider to be the pro-level cameras: Canon 1D, 1Ds, Nikon D1h, D1x, D2H, Kodak pro 14n...not the Nikon D-100 or the Canon 10D...or the Fuji ProS2...

Just my .02 cents...so don't get up set about what I said...
Old Oct 13, 2003, 3:21 PM   #8

compare to the 10D, it still a long way to catch up, the 10 D has a better built body, better and advanced technology built in

better built body? In what way? I certainly can't complain about it.

And what is this better and advanced tech.?

Canon has so many affordable USM lenses that user can buy to use with the 10D or the Rebel, much less expensive than Nikon lenses, what is the cheapest price that you can buy a Nikon zoom lens with AF-S? Do they have any of those lenses for lens than $120, I don't think so..

so the canon is better because canon has a few cheap lenses? Nikon has some cheap lenses too, I dont understand what that has to do with the issue.

To me, that it's not important

To others it IS important. It's just like saying "Formula 1-cars sucks big time.. no air conditioning and I dont need the low weight and high power"
Old Oct 13, 2003, 3:28 PM   #9

Don't get me wrong, I use to have the D-100 with a combination of some AF-S lenses, I gave it up and let it go since I acquired the 10D and few other Canon EF-L lenses, and with the Rebel I now have for the fun part of it

did you first have a D100? Then you got the D10? and now the digital rebel?
Old Oct 13, 2003, 4:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCohen
[i]
better built body? In what way? I certainly can't complain about it.

And what is this better and advanced tech.?

[i]
so the canon is better because canon has a few cheap lenses? Nikon has some cheap lenses too, I dont understand what that has to do with the issue.

[i]
To others it IS important. It's just like saying "Formula 1-cars sucks big time.. no air conditioning and I dont need the low weight and high power"
Mr. Cohen:

I will try to answer your point of concerns in the same order that you pose:

1. Magnesium alloy vs. polycarbonate material...you may not complaint, but that's just personal taste and opinion.

2. For ex: DIGIT process plus CMOS chip produce less noise picture than the D100, that's obvious...

3. No, Canon is not better because they produce some cheap lenses, Canon is better because the technology in USM for AF is now superior, and is applied to the entire collection of their lenses, from the entry level, to the mid level to the high end with very reasonable price, Nikon on the other side, on the second generation of AF-S, only apply to the mid high level up, and in most case it's overprice.

4 In general, you're correct, but in the case of spot metering, you don't just put this feature in the camera to bear the name spot meter. You're the Nikon user, you probably know, a lot of the amateurs, professional photographers, they don't trust and use the built-in spot meter but rely on a separate handheld spot meter such as the workhorse Pentax digital spot meter, or the Minolta spot meter F or the Sekonic. This is a very delicate special tool, using is the wrong way or misunderstood the application could result in a disaster; true spot meter may not be built in the SLR because of the cost. But that's just my personal though...when it comes to spot meter, to me it has to be the real thing.