Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 4, 2008, 1:13 PM   #11
Super Moderator

I've decided...... it didn't take long, I want one!!! My 1D MkIII was on buy now pay in a year and that is up in Jan so might have to get this bad boy when that is paid for...... hmmmm, time will tell.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 1:45 PM   #12
NHL

IMO it's a fantastic 'still' camera, but if anyone buy it for the video feature then they'll be in for a reckoning...

Not everyone is a Vincent Laforet - Plus folks in this forum hate to use any tripod since almost everyone want their IS lenses. A few handheld jerky video clips in HD will be all it take to make this novelty wear off...
-> Also don't forget the amount of editing time to render a useful video (... and the sound mix)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:54 PM   #13
Super Moderator

I agree, spending that much on a video camera is a little crazy, but the other specs simply rock!!

Having said that, the ability to get a nice shallow dof in video is something I would love, and even with my HD P&S camera I often pop it on a tripod when doing video.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 3:18 PM   #14
NHL

Great now that the camera is shipped some comparisons start to flow:
http://anandtech.com/digitalcameras/showdoc.aspx?i=3470
Old Dec 4, 2008, 4:16 PM   #15
Super Moderator

I have no illusions about how hard it is to shoot good video.

And even if you can get good footage editing it is not something that is easy to do.

However I am lucky enough to be married to someone who is a movie editor by profession, and we have good editing software and hardware at home, so something fun might come of it. :-)
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 4:51 PM   #16
NHL

It's not just that!

What is the intended audiences?
The UTube stuffs may be fun; However, I have also sat through quite a few high-quality and professionally made wedding DVDs that is excruciating except for the bride and her immediate family...
Old Dec 5, 2008, 8:09 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Yes, but that is pretty much true of photographs too. :-)

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 9:39 AM   #18

Actually NHL, I originally thought like you did. But as I've been reading over on sportsshooter for the past few weeks, the video is likely to be a very beneficial feature to an important audience - photojournalists. More and more media outlets are using web as an important part of their distribution. Being able to get print quality pj photos as well as video for the web in a single device is thought by some working PJs to be a very good idea.

I've also seen threads from a number of wedding photographers that welcome it. Those are on normal forums so I cant say how competant they are as wedding photogs.

Bottom line - it appears there is some portion of the target audience that believes this to be a useful feature. It was news to me too.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 7:21 AM   #19
NHL

JohnG

I'm not disagreeing with you at all

The camera is great... and its video is too good actually which is the problem:
My comment was directed to folks who think they may get away using this 5DII to replace their camcorder: :-)

First of all unlike camcorders with smaller sensors the DOF on this FF is very narrow (very much like folks buying dSLR thinking they'll get better pictures than P&S) and also the 5DII does not track focus in video so your subject distance has to be constant! Manual focus is de rigueur and don't plan on following the kids around like with any other video camera or HD viewing will show this deficiency right away

Secondly there's no two way about it. This thing got to be mounted on a sturdy stand else you'll get viewers dizzy (or worst headache) especially on a large-screen where jerky movements are unviewable... Producers have their cameras mounted on rails for actions, but there's are others portable IS devices (but again many shooters here refuse to even think about a small cheap tripod let alone theses other accessories)

We got to treat this thing like a movie production with careful planning of many short static takes, very much like 30 seconds TV commercial spots for example which may take days if not weeks to prepare but not everyone realize theses behind the scene stuffs... and I didn't even cover the audio portion where miking will also be a problem (microphones placements, baffles etc...) - Where is it on a 5DII (it could pick up noises from the camera handling or even the lens own IS/AF)?

-> We'll see but IMO for lower quality stuffs most users will get better results (and also easier) with a regular HD video camera (just like the P&S larger DOF). Low-light may be better with the 5DII but again many posters here are already having problem with DOF stills let alone moving videos with manual focus in the dark!
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:15 AM   #20

All,

SOme comments on the 5dmkII from the target audience:

http://www.sportsshooter.com/message...html?tid=31527

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote