Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 7, 2008, 8:04 PM   #1

Other websites are swamped with speculation and questions on the 5D MK II but I can only see one post here. It seems very odd.
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2008, 5:07 AM   #2
Super Moderator

We have a different crowd here than the other places.

Few of us are restricted to one system, and until we see production copies the specs are just specs.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 3:43 PM   #3

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
We have a different crowd here than the other places.
Yeah, I can see that.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:41 PM   #4

I don't think there are as many wedding and portrait pro photogs here, and this site isn't as "keeping up with the Jone's" tech crazy as some other sites. It's craziness out there. You should have seen the crazies coming out after the Nikon D90 and Canon 50D reviews at dpreview. It is kind of fun to watch though.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 7:23 PM   #5

You should see the "5DII master thread" at Fred Miranda. 138 pages and growing! Everything from prototype noise at ISO 12800 to issues pertaining to current currency exchange rates to one guy who is 300th on the list at Ritz!
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 5:34 PM   #6

thwburychka wrote:
Quote:
You should see the "5DII master thread" at Fred Miranda. 138 pages and growing! Everything from prototype noise at ISO 12800 to issues pertaining to current currency exchange rates to one guy who is 300th on the list at Ritz!
But that is how it should be. This place is like a parallel universe where the 5DII just didn't happen.

Does no one have any spark of interest in it?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 9:12 PM   #7

you want speculation go to nikoncafe.thats all they do is speculate and make up new cameras.its really silly.btw anyone know how to add my location to my avitar?
scooptdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:44 AM   #8

"Does no one have any spark of interest in it?"

I find it hard to get excited about a camera I can't afford to buy. I'll stick with my 40D for a while.

Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:10 AM   #9
Super Moderator

I do have an interest. But I don't just yet have the money. :-) (Although my credit card company keeps telling me I do.)

But I have started my fund again, and in a few months will have enough to trade up my 5D.

As far as I can see it is a better camera in every way, so what's not to like?

BIG Things that appeal to me:
  • Micro adjust for lens AF.[/*]
  • Live view - which is emerging as the BEST way to get critical focus where it matters. I wasn't convinced about this when it first came out but it seems clear now.[/*]
  • 1 stop better in low light, ISO3200 now as good as ISO1600 on the old 5D. [/*]
  • Higher resolution.
[/*]
LITTLE Things that appeal to me:
  • Very good LCD screen. [/*]
  • Anti-dust feature.[/*]
  • Video feature - should be fun on occasion, and we already have Final Cut Pro and a good Mac.[/*]
  • Possibly slightly better AF, same hardware but better algos.[/*]
  • Slightly faster frame rate.
[/*]
The only thing that will stop me from getting the 5D2 in time is if I can get a digital rangefinder instead, either saving longer for a Lecia M8.2 or hoping against hope that someone will come out with a new digital rangefinder, something like a Zeiss Ikon with the Sony A900 chip on board. Now that would get me jumping up and down with excitement.

But always balanced by the though thatas much fun as buying new equipment is, it doesn't make your photography any better.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 7:56 AM   #10

The 5D Mark II, although available and now out there, is backordered something fierce with long waiting lists.

You might look at the photos and video in this link's first post(http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=112581), all witha just received5D Mark II ... but look especially at the photo of the bookshelf. This was shot at 25,600 ISO (that's twenty-five-thousand-six-hundred ISO) yet look how there is depth of color and very little "noise" (grain). WOW! But the fact it can do virtually BluRay quality video too, is simply amazing!

Now let's see ... US$2,700 ... is it worth it? For this camera, in a word ...

... YES! You bet your donkey it is! And my credit card company keeps telling me I can afford it, too ... we must have the same company, peripatetic!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote