Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 3, 2003, 6:42 PM   #11

Default Re: Buy Digital rebel with the lens or buy EF 28-105mm f/4-5

[quote="ewitte"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMathew
I see the 18-55mm EF-s lens ending over $165 on ebay!
This should answer the question. If you can sell a used lens for $65 more than you paid and the only people who can use it are those who passed on buying the lens for the lower price (since EF-S only fit 300D's), there must be something about the lens worth having. I'll be it is the fact that some people are slow to realize that the 18mm option (28.8mm equivalent) is worth having even if the lens is not 'L' quality. Buying the worlds sharpest 28mm to 300mm zoom will allow you some really great pictures but will do nothing for you when you want a wide angle. 28mm x 1.6 factor = a normal lens range 45mm. If you only shoot wildlife from a mile off, the kit lens will do you no good. If you are shooting the kids opening packages under a Christmas Tree crowded in a small apartment, it will be the best $100 you ever spent. Buy the kit and sell it when you decide you never shoot wide angle or when you buy a 12-24mm replacement for it (at $1000).
dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 7:11 PM   #12

Default Re: Buy Digital rebel with the lens or buy EF 28-105mm f/4-5

[quote="dougsmit"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewitte
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMathew
I see the 18-55mm EF-s lens ending over $165 on ebay!
This should answer the question. If you can sell a used lens for $65 more than you paid and the only people who can use it are those who passed on buying the lens for the lower price (since EF-S only fit 300D's), there must be something about the lens worth having. I'll be it is the fact that some people are slow to realize that the 18mm option (28.8mm equivalent) is worth having even if the lens is not 'L' quality. Buying the worlds sharpest 28mm to 300mm zoom will allow you some really great pictures but will do nothing for you when you want a wide angle. 28mm x 1.6 factor = a normal lens range 45mm. If you only shoot wildlife from a mile off, the kit lens will do you no good. If you are shooting the kids opening packages under a Christmas Tree crowded in a small apartment, it will be the best $100 you ever spent. Buy the kit and sell it when you decide you never shoot wide angle or when you buy a 12-24mm replacement for it (at $1000).
Most of the time I have it set to 24mm (the line) or greater. I'll have to just test the new one and decide when I get it. I see the Sigma 12-24 for about $650. Although if I really just wanted something wide angled I could probably go for the Sigma 8mm fisheye ($449) and fix the image on the computer. I'm also thinking about the possibility of just taking 2 pictures and stitching them together. Hmm. Maybe I'll keep it for backup, the extra 6mm and resale.

Eric
ewitte is offline   Reply With Quote