Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 13, 2003, 11:21 AM   #1

Default Buy Digital rebel with the lens or buy EF 28-105mm f/4-5.6?

Hello,

I am new to this... I am planning to buy Digital Rebel. Is it better to buy the lens that comes with the body or instead buy EF 28-105mm f/4-5.6 USM (I checked it at circuit city and its 199.99 ). What do you guys think about this lens. I am just an amateur just want to take pictures of family and on vacations but want a digital SLR camera.

Any suggestion would be helpful.

TIA,

James
JamesMathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2003, 3:59 PM   #2

I would buy it with lens. From what I've read the 18-55 lens is actually pretty good. I just held the digital rebel with that lens in my hands the other day, and the combination is nice and small, and light. It is lighter, and smaller, than the 10D + 28-105 lens. Not an obtrusive, look at me, combination at all (if that is important to you).

You can always later decide you want more zoom, and get another lens.

I don't think the 28-105 F4-5.6 is very good, the 28-105 F3.5-4.5 is a lot better. But if that range is important to you, I would seriously consider the 28-135 IS.

Before you buy lenses at Best Buy or Circuit City, check the prices on B&H's website. They have very sharp pricing on Canon lenses. www.bhphotovideo.com

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 11:16 PM   #3

Any opinions about using the Tameron 28-300 mm travel lens on the DRebel? This would all but eliminate the need to change lenses and expose the sensor to dust and dirt. I've read a good review on this lense in Shutterbug on a film camera. The sales person at the camera shop where I looked at the DRebel didn't seem to think this lense was a good choice. He said the 28-300 Tameron was trying to do too much and wasn't really good at any range. Anyone own this lense? THX.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 5:11 AM   #4
NHL

Barthold is rigth, the EF-S 18-55mm is the best $100 you'll ever invest in any camera... At least its get you going while trying to decide (or save up for that more expensive lens) plus it brings you the wide angle perspective at a give away price!

One thing I can say about the Tamron 28-300 is it's nice and compact. I didn't buy it because it did not have the WA that I need, but I know others who did (plus I prefer the f/2.8 for the out of focus DOF effect), and are happy with it. BTW I think there was a $50 rebate on theses Tamron...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 7:20 AM   #5

THX NHL - your insight is helpful as always! Best - john
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 8:01 AM   #6

The Canon EF 18-55mm is a great choice, for what you pay for, it's a steal. However if you want a little extra speed for low light shooting, the new Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 Di is also a great all-around lens.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 1:38 PM   #7

Thank you all for your sincere opinions.

James.
JamesMathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 6:56 PM   #8

You won't regret buying the camera with the lense. It takes great pictures. No complaints at all
SheilaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2003, 10:20 PM   #9

I have a Canon 10d and both the Tamron 28-75 Xr DI and the Tamron 28-300. While I like the 28-75 alot, I'm not impressed with the sharpness of the the 28-300 at the upper end (I know - big surprise). I love Tamron lenses for their build quality but I have another current problem with Tamron lenses (except the 19-35 what a great little lens)

The proble is the "front focus" problem of the 10d. Unlike Sigma who has offered to "rechip" their lenses to fix their focus problem with the Canon 10d, Tamron corporate just has said they don't have a problem and therefore they don't need to fix anything. See my other post under Canon 10d focus problems topic.

I really, really want to use my Tamron lenes - specially the 28-75 because it is so small and light compared to my monster Canon 24-70 L, but I've either got to get Tamron to fix thier lens, have my 10d recalibrated, or sell the lenes to someone with some other camera than a Canon 10d. Perhaps a Rebel might be ok. I'm going to a camera store tomorrow to try one out with my problem Sigma and Tamron lenses.
bruceperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 11:36 AM   #10

Default Re: Buy Digital rebel with the lens or buy EF 28-105mm f/4-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMathew
Hello,

I am new to this... I am planning to buy Digital Rebel. Is it better to buy the lens that comes with the body or instead buy EF 28-105mm f/4-5.6 USM (I checked it at circuit city and its 199.99 ). What do you guys think about this lens. I am just an amateur just want to take pictures of family and on vacations but want a digital SLR camera.

Any suggestion would be helpful.

TIA,

James
I have a champagne 24-85 USM f/3.5-4.5 being mailed to me. I'm thinking about ditching the kit lens myself. I'll have to evaluate the extra 6mm when I get it. Maybe I could get a wider angle prime at a later time. I see the 18-55mm EF-s lens ending over $165 on ebay!

Eric
ewitte is offline   Reply With Quote