Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 19, 2008, 6:12 PM   #1

Hi! I bought the Canon Rebel XT a couple of years ago. I have the 18mm-55mm stock lense that came with it and I also bought a Sigma 28mm-300mm Zoom Lense. Lately I have been having trouble with my shots being out of focus. I am not a professional but I have taken a digital class and took photography in college ( a very long time ago) LOL. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I shoot indoors and outdoors and have the same problems with it not focusing well. I use the Sigma zoom lense a lot because I have a 5 year old and find the 18mm-55mm lense limited. I am trying to just use the auto setting right now to get this right and then thought I would venture again to the manual settings. Could anyone shed some light as to what could be the cause of the camera not focusing quickly or focusing at all when I need it too? It is very dissapointing to finally get the shot where my daughter is smiling to only find out later that it was fuzzy. Thank you so much for all your help and advice!
ginamichelle1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:52 PM   #2

Can you put up some photos up with the EXIF data. Off what was read, it sounds like it could be the small aperture creating a longer shutter speed than your used to, which would show motion blur or camera shake. Also, Sigma(without HSM) are usually slower and have more problems finding focus. That's because Sigma and other third party manufacturers have to reverse engineer the Canon AF system. One last thing is that Sigma usually has more problems with consistency in lens being accurate, not horribly, but worse than the manufacturers lens.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2008, 8:03 PM   #3

[sup]Hi Kalel33,
Thank you so much for your reply! I was wondering if you could tell me how to upload a photo with the EXIF data??? Also when you say small apeture creating a longer shutter speed and camera shake do you mean when it is in manual mode? If so I don't beliefe that to be the case as I am using the camera in automatic mode. Basically from what I get from your response is that I am better off buying Canon lenses.... is that what you mean as that is the vibe I have been getting from doing some research. Thanks again for all your help!! I look forward to your response.
[/sup]
Attached Images

Old Oct 20, 2008, 8:05 PM   #4

Hi Kalel33,
Thank you so much for your reply! I was wondering if you could tell me how to upload a photo with the EXIF data??? Also when you say small apeture creating a longer shutter speed and camera shake do you mean when it is in manual mode? If so I don't beliefe that to be the case as I am using the camera in automatic mode. Basically from what I get from your response is that I am better off buying Canon lenses.... is that what you mean as that is the vibe I have been getting from doing some research. Thanks again for all your help!! I look forward to your response.