Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:51 PM   #11

I also feel like I'm having focus problems with my XSi. Can someone recommend a source for focus charts? And maybe a "For Dummies" explanation about how to use them?
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 1:35 PM   #12

check out my post in this thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=37

that site I reference has a step-by-step process. I think it's http://www.focustestchart.com but I'm going from memory.
memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 1:52 PM   #13

memento wrote:
Quote:
check out my post in this thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=37

that site I reference has a step-by-step process. I think it's http://www.focustestchart.com but I'm going from memory.
I did see your link... I was contributing to that thread as well. But it seems that chart/procedure is specific to the Nikon D70. At least that's what the page header says.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 2:00 PM   #14

Don't worry about the top of the page mentioning the D70 - it cites principles that are common to every dSLR. The chart can be used by any camera (I've used it with my Pentax cameras). It's excellent information.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 2:12 PM   #15

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!
Old Oct 22, 2008, 8:42 AM   #16

Psykita. Did you get a response from Canon? I am very interested in what they have to say.

I´ve had the exact same problem, but did not change the camera, just returned it. After searching different forums I found that there are alot of others who are experiencing the same focus problem. Look at dpreview forum and search for"focus issue".

//Daniel.

daniell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:46 AM   #17

So far no answer from Canon tech. support (2days). They promise reply to my email within 24 hrs. I called them referring to my case#, r'ed an answer they are busy and I have to be patient. I can drop the camera for repair - takes 15 business days. Rudicolus - buy new canera and next da go to the service.

After I performed all tests and all 150 pics were badly blurry, I know it's not my fault, it's camera.
psykita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:48 AM   #18
Administrator

Were you using a filter when you took that photo? It looks like you may have been using a Polarizer on it (from the way the sky color looks, plus I see a lot of vignetting).

If so, that may be interfering with your Autofocus. For example, some AF systems will not work properly with a Linear Polarizer (a Circular Polarizer is the preferred choice for best compatibility with SLR AF systems).

Filters can also cause some unwanted light reflections which could be throwing off your AF, too. I'd try the camera without any filters and see how it's working (and make sure you have Autofocus locked on your desired subject).

I think it's very unlikely to be a camera issue since you've already tried four different samples from more than one dealer location.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:11 AM   #19

Yes, in first camera I was using pol. filter, so in another two I wasn't. I took about 150 pictures of different objects with all possible settings (different AF settings, different modes)and different wheather conditions (sunny, cludy). No difference, not even one picture was acceptable. Close objects are a little bit better focused.
psykita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:41 AM   #20

This sounds like a brutal situation... but it's hard to believe that3 cameras from differentretailers would all be malfunctioning to this degree.

I realize that you're convinced the camera is at fault, but while you're waiting to hear back from Canon, you might want to try again. I mean, start over... restore the camera to its default settings and take a variety of photos without any filters on the lens. You might even limit your experiement to the Basic Zone (Auto, Portrait, Landscape, etc.) at first, working with and without a tripod, with and without the IS turned on, with and without the flash, etc.

When you do move into the manual mode (Tv, Av, etc.), be sure you have only the center-point AF working.

Another idea, one that I don't think I'm repeating: Do you know anyone, maybe a friend or family member nearby, who has experience with DSLR photography? If so, I'd lend him or her the camera for a few days and get a fresh opinion. Even someone without experience might be willing to test it out.