Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 5, 2008, 9:24 AM   #51

I tested this camera many times with AF set on specific point. Attached is the image, as far as I remember taken with one AF point selected. If I'm wrong, I'll send another pic. I don't have this camera anymore, so I'm using pics taken few days ago.

After all: The manufacturer offer Landscape mode option. Am I expecting to much takingpicture of a typical landscape and asking for acceptable quality?
Attached Images

psykita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:13 AM   #52

Well, if you've got a new camera and you're happy with it, then I guess none of this matters, but...
  1. I see that you have your camera set to AI Servo AF, which means the focal point will change if you or your subject moves even slightly.[/*]
  2. Also, you used the "neutral" picture style, so the colours are going to be very bland, and it doesn't look like you made an effort to jack up the sharpness or contrast. [/*]
  3. Also, F10 might have been a rather narrow DOF for this scene.[/*]
  4. I can't tell what AF point you were using...
[/*]
I'm just speculating here. Trust me, I'm still somewhat frustrated with my XSi. But I think the biggest problem here might be people used to P&S cameras expecting to use DSLRs in the same way. Live and learn I guess.
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:20 AM   #53
Administrator

That was using AI Servo Autofocus and it looks like 4 AF points were active from what one of my readers tells me. But, I haven't tried to figure out their coordinates. I think that some of the software Canon provides can show you what AF points were being selected by the camera (since x/y coordinates are included in the makernotes).

As already mentioned, bump up your saturation, contrast and sharpening if you want a photo that looks more like most non-dSLR models.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 7:49 PM   #54

Jim C,.. Everything in your note is correct,...BUT,.. I really believe I understnad DOF, and by the way the DOF chart for this lense at f/8 @2'(which is what I shoot at)and 55mm is 1.4" from the DOF table. This is not the issue. The issue is that it should have focued on the single spot focus dead on,..not 1/2" in front or in back, but I expect that someone sells me a camera for $800 it should at least focus correctly.

As my VERY LONG post indicated, I have other pictures where the focus is perfect, but this on on subjects that by nature have lots of contrast. The center focus spot on the XSI is a rather large box, but for a close up it still will fit inside the pedal of a flower. If there is no real contrast on that pedal,... something happens. The focus becomes way off, at least 3/4". Sometimes it is FF and others it is RF, but I have yet to find one by acident that was DEAD ON. Why is that. Even with Manual focus.

DSLR's are in the same kind of business model and many other product that Canon and other technology Corps use,..ie. Give away the product and charge like XXX for the staples. For Printers they give away the printer at $75 each and charge $75 for one set of replacement ink carts. For a DSLR they give away the camera and charge like mad for the good lenses. I've read it a dozen times on many web sites,... for a DSLR "It's all about the GLASS". I'm and Electronic Engineer with 33 years in the technology Industry. If you look at the functions that a single DSLR does and all of the electronics inside, I can't believe they can sell that for what I paid and make any money.

I just saw a comment on this web site that your have to really spend the BIG Bucks if your really want a good DSLR. That has got to be a bunch of bull. My very first SLR camera 45 years ago made great pictures and they were on regular Kodak film. DSLR's have been out for years and someone wants to tell me thatan entry level DSLRis still not shooting good pictures and a good P&S is probably better than a XSi!!!!

My problem is I've spent the money,... I can't get it back. If I believe some of the stuff I've read, I would have been better off buying a new G10. I just don't believe that the GLASS in the G10 is better than any DSLR AF/IS lense. The inside chips are the same and all the functions are there, but you're stuck with one lense forever.

Maybe Canon should change there ad campaign to say,..."If you are not a professional with 10 years experience, then don't buy a DSLR and expect it to shoot top quality pictures. My Camera & lensesleaves tomorrow for Canon Repair center in Irvine, Calif.
jbird1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 8:25 PM   #55

I might be way off base here, but I think I'm realizing the problem with the Canon XSi...

The age of digital photography has generated huge interest in the hobby. And Canon is capitalizing on this and marketing the XSi to the general public. Heck, watch the commercials where they hype the "live view" functionality... In real life, the live view technology on the XSi is anything but user-friendly at one end of the spectrum, and completely useless at the other end of the spectrum. Right now I'll hazard a guess and say that the XSi is themost popular entry-level DSLR in the world! Hence all the threads and complaints. (At least that's what I'm trying to think.)

I have to believe that it's a just a huge learning curve. I'm way past the point where I could ever return mine. And to be honest, I don't want to. Instead, I want to keep trying and hopefully, eventually, I'll figure it all out. I've seen XSi results on photo-post websites like flickr and they're f-ing awesome.

Can I take better shots right now with my S2? Yes. But I recall it took me a while to learn how to use that bad boy. In fact, it took me over 2 years to perfect it. And as soon as I did I busted out and bought my XSi. I don't mind if it takes me another couple of years to get the hang of DSLR photography.

Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2008, 7:59 AM   #56
Administrator

jbird1938 wrote:
Quote:
Jim C,.. Everything in your note is correct,...BUT,.. I really believe I understnad DOF, and by the way the DOF chart for this lense at f/8 @2'(which is what I shoot at)and 55mm is 1.4" from the DOF table. This is not the issue. The issue is that it should have focued on the single spot focus dead on,..not 1/2" in front or in back, but I expect that someone sells me a camera for $800 it should at least focus correctly.
Use a tripod, and test it in controlled conditions if you think the focus is off.

I prefer to use books or CD covers, as I mentioned earlier in this thread:

Quote:
If the book in front of my target was sharper (I focused on middle book), I'd have front focus (with that lens, at the focal length, in that lighting, using the focus point I selected).

If the book in back of my target was sharper, I'd have backfocus (camera focusing behind my subject). The middle book (my focus target) looks sharpest, so the lens is fine in that lighting in this case (a quick AF test of a 100mm f/2 a while back on a KM Maxxum 5D):

http://www.pbase.com/image/51015183/original.jpg
But, most of the time, when a new dSLR owner is getting out of focus shots, the camera is fine. The focus point on the AF sensor may be larger than you're seeing in the viewfinder with some cameras. But, when you're shooting with a very shallow depth of field, user movement enters the equation, too (hence a tripod is sometimes desirable).

I'd make sure it's not something you're doing wrong before assuming the AF on the camera is at fault. If it's not working properly in controlled conditions (using a tripod, with something like books or CD covers staggered at different distances to check it), then send it to Canon and have them calibrate it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 1:23 PM   #57

Just happened to me and I panicked. Manual was no help. But I have the XSI Digital Field Guide for the XSI and looked at it. Try going into the Menu Custom Functions located on the next to last menu (the 3d menu icon). Press the Custom Functions (C.Fn) option with your Set button, go to C.FnIV:Operation/Others Shutter/AE lock button (option 10).. Be sure it's set to 0:AF/AE Lock. I'd changed mine experimenting around the custom functions. Thank goodness for the Digital Field Guide because the manual that came with the camera is pretty useless!
gracie@1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 12:52 AM   #58

I think [email protected] is right about the custom setting option#10 set to 0 for the focusing to function normally. Sometimes during trying to play with new settings can foul up the camera. Most of the time a factory reset can restore it. I always set mine to "0" for AE/AF LOCK, the camera still misfocus frequently. I solve the problem by setting the AF section to manual and just use the center point for focusing.
I really hate the focusing system in the XSi using 9 red dots for 9 zones which is really hard to see because the dots are so small. I think Canon cut some corners in making the XSi which replace the XTi. The XTi has 9 red squares rather than red dots just like the 20D and 5D MKII. Even on the 5D MKII, I always use only the central point for AF.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote