Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:00 AM   #11

wow

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"awesome stuff algold, just awesome.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 1:27 PM   #12

Okay,

I bought the lightsphere II and used a borrowed 50mm 1.8 II and shot these two photos of my sons Halloween costume.

I focused on his hand in both photos. That resulted in one photo having a soft face.

Please, please comment on what I could have done better.

FP

Attached Images

Old Oct 29, 2008, 1:28 PM   #13

Here's the second photo

Edited comment after comment below:

Kalel asks "What was I trying to achieve with the photo of my son, the gutar and the guitar pick photo."

That a great question and I should have stated that up front. This is of my first photographs where I was trying to be very intentional about trying to create a 3-D photo using depth of field.

I was trying to get his hand and the pick in focus, and have the guitar in the foreground soft and the same for his face behind the pic. I tried to create 3 layers within the photo.

For lighting, I used the lightsphere to diffuse the 430 flash. The flash was pointed to the ceiling. I used a Canon EF 50mm fixed lens f/1.8ll to take the photo. And I took the photo from about 18 inches away. He was standing against a wall that is painted off white. It was shot in AV mode. (still trying to figure that out)

That's about all I got.

Attached Images

Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:48 PM   #14

FaithfulPastor wrote:
Quote:
Okay,

I bought the lightsphere II and used a borrowed 50mm 1.8 II and shot these two photos of my sons Halloween costume.

I focused on his hand in both photos. That resulted in one photo having a soft face.

Please, please comment on what I could have done better.

FP

What were you trying to do? The soft face would have been much better if you would have isolated the pic much more from the rest of the shot. Are you shooting in Av? I looks like you have too much depth of field. For those shots, I would have tried, like, F2.8 or F1.8(F2.8 first because it's sharper not opened up).

Also, the lighting is too straight on, it looks like you used the flash. Light from one side or the other would have created more depth and flare. You could try bouncing the flash off of a wall or ceiling so the light is so spread throughout the shot.

That's just my opinion of the shots and really it's your personal preference. If you told us what you were trying to do then it'd be easier.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:54 PM   #15

From looking at the photos more, are you using all points active. I seems like that you wanted one thing in focus, but the closest object within the points were selected(that's why the even the pick is slightly out of focus). Switch over to centerpoint only. If your in the scene modes, then get out of them and start using Av or P at the least. The scene modes will just hinder your progression in learning and will always leave you wondering why the shot didn't come out as I wanted.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 9:47 AM   #16

Hello,

I'm just an amateur, but have been pouring money into my set-ups (Pentax & Nikon)[My friends all of Canons.] in order to play around with getting better portrait shots of my daughters.

The one thing that no one has mentioned is getting your flash unit off your camera.

I am doing this with a cheap Cactus trigger ($20) I bought off of eBay, but you can also get a cable that will let you get the flash off camera & preserve all it's TTL features.

Here is a shot I got of my daughter with off-camera flash. (I'm also sending it through an umbrella.)

I think when you get the flash off camera, you got a lot more modelling and detail in the skin.

I noticed someone mentioned the Gary Fong Lightsphere & you got it. That's on my list of items to get. All the serious photographers in my camera club love it.

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 10:12 AM   #17

I'm getting back to this topic a bit late, but I got the lightsphere II. While a remote flash trigger is great for studio type work, the lightsphere is great because you can use it wherever you don't have a static subject or the time to set up an umbrella. Here are 2 examples of shots using the lightsphere. I just can't say enough about how well it fills the subject with diffuse light for being something "on camera" and being something that can be used spontaneously.

Glen - I LOVE that first shot.
memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 12:00 PM   #18

Thanks Memento!

I love your shots!

Wow! I really got to get a Lightsphere II!!! -- for the reason you mentioned.

Which Lightsphere did you get? Clear or White & why?

I'm waiting for my buddy to get one. He says he's getting the white one for his 430EX.

Has anyone tried using the Lightsphere on your flash with it off camera?

I've got the cheap triggers, so I was going to wait for my friend to get his Lightsphere II so I can trigger it off camera and see if I can get some off-camera, directional light effect & still get nice fill from the Lightsphere.

Take care,
Glen

Old Nov 4, 2008, 6:16 PM   #19

thanks. I got the white because I figured it would be more diffuse. The clear might be brighter though. But I can also jack up the 430EX to +3 if I need, which I haven't yet.

I found out about the lightsphere from a wedding. I had my old rebel and she had a nikon with this big thing on top of the flash. I had to ask her about it.

The remote trigger should still work well with the lightsphere on the flash. That sounds like something I'm going to have to try.
memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 7:32 PM   #20

Hello,

RE: Using Lightsphere II off-camera.

I was reading a book about portrait photography & it talked about how to use a bare bulb for lighting for portraiture, because it is directional, yet because it throws light all around, it is also its own fill light.

And then a buddy of mine was bugging me about finding out more about the Lightsphere II and . . .

. . . so, I'm looking at the picture of the Lightsphere II & reading about bare bulb in my book, and so I got to thinking that what the Lightsphere II does is turns your flash unit into something like a bare bulb with a diffuser on it . . .

So the Lightsphere II gives you directional light & fill light at the same time with some nice diffusion on it . . . all in a nice compact size.

So, I'm thinking by getting it off-camera, I might get something akin to the affect of shooting with a bare bulb.

And by off-camera, I just mean as far as my left arm can hold it while my right hand snaps the picture with the camera.

From what I've seen, I'm already going to get one. To have directional light from it would be icing on the cake!

Take care,
Glen