Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:57 PM   #31

FaithfulPastor wrote:
Quote:
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi

28-135 EF IS lens 3.5 - 5.6

I shot these on AV mode ISO 100 at 3.5

Wrong AV?

Wrong ISO?

Wrong lens?

Wrong photographer????????????

I think the above choices were all fine. The biggesttechnical issue, IMO,was not using external flash for fill (and as mentioned a diffuserREALLY helps on flashwork)and the WB is off. The WB is most easily fixed by shooting RAW. I prefer to do any portrait work in RAW for that and exposure reasons. Using flash properly can be a bit tricky but it's well worth it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 2:42 PM   #32

I've got two problems in shooting raw. {:lol:three if you're asking me to go to a photo shoot naked}

I don't know what it means to shoot RAW. Would you mind a primer on it?

How do I set my camera (Canon XTi) to shoot RAW.

Those are my "bare" questions.

(I crack myself up)

FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 5:42 PM   #33

think of RAW as a digital negative. When you shoot JPEG, the camera takes a large amount of image data, applies sharpening, color adjustments, white balance etc to it and then stores the image in a compressed format. When you 'compress' the image via conversion to JPEG you lose some information.

Leaving the image in RAW allows you to make some very nice adjustments on the PC when YOU (not the camera) convert the RAW file to JPEG. The best one is you can change the white balance (if you are unsure what white balance is I suggest a google search). The second most useful thing it allows you to do is correct for under/over exposure. There are other things but these are the primary benefits for most people. Your camera's manual will tell you how to set the camera to record in RAW (vs. jpeg) mode. The camera should have come with software - probably Digital Photo professional (canon's software). That software will allow you to convert the RAW file to JPEG. You can then do the rest of your editing in whatever software package you currently use for post processing. If you have lost the camera manual - you can get a PDF from Canon's website.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 1:34 PM   #34

The white balance was waaaaaaaaaaaay off. Just as the moderator guessed. (Those guys know their stuff, don't they?).

I fixed the white balance setting in the camera. Next shots will not have that problem.

I tried to fix this photo using software. Is this any better than the original post?

Attached Images

FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 1:56 PM   #35

FaithfulPastor wrote:
Quote:
The white balance was waaaaaaaaaaaay off. Just as the moderator guessed. (Those guys know their stuff, don't they?).

I fixed the white balance setting in the camera. Next shots will not have that problem.
First the easy answer - yes the wb looks better in your altered shot.

Now the tough part - you indicated you fixed the WB in camer so this won't happen again. The problem with that statement is it's impossible to prevent WB issues. You basically have 3 choices with WB:

1) Set it to auto and hope the camera gets it correct (which it does a lot of the time but not all the time)

2) choose a pre-fab WB setting for the given situation. Personally I've never been happy with the Canon pre-fab settings.

3) shoot raw and correct in conversion.

So, you may absolutely have had WB on the wrong setting. But don't get lulled into thinking the camera will get it right all the time - any more than allowing the camera to do all the metering (and not using exposure compensation or manual settings) will get you proper exposure for every shot. Sometimes you just have to take the decision out of the camera's "hands".

Now, get your external flash and you're good to go for more portrait work