Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 15, 2003, 10:37 AM   #1

Default Interesting battery occurance

I have 1 Canon battery (came with the camera) and one after market (Lemark? Lexmark? Don't remember.)

While using a very freshly charged battery it said way to quickly that it was low in charge after about.... 40 pictures. Normally I can go 300+ before the battery does this (no flash used either time.)

Wondering which was in the camera, I opened the battery door and saw that it was the third-party battery. I closed the door and then the battery indicator showed full charge. I kept using it and it worked fine for another 50+ pics without the indicator going lower. Note that I did not take the battery out of the camera, I just opened the door.

Weird. But something to remember if you are caught out in the field with a battery claiming to be low.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2003, 11:16 AM   #2

Default I've heard that...

Some types of after market batteries don't allow Canon cameras to correctly "read" the discharge rates due to some kind of circuit that isn't used in the AM battery. I purchased an aftermarket battery rated at 1300-mah's & use it in my grip along with the Canon 850-mah battery. Whenever I put them both on the charger, the aftermarket charges first (which makes sense because the camera uses the highest cap battery in the grip until they reach an equal level & then discharges them in unison).

As an aside, I've never shot enough images to cause the higher rated battery to run down to the level of the Canon battery!
Old Oct 15, 2003, 5:06 PM   #3

Since I'm at home, I looked up the brand. It is a Lenmar.

Eric
Old Oct 15, 2003, 5:32 PM   #4

I bought the cheapest BP-511 replacements that B&H has, brand Power2000 if i remember correctly. I've never had any problems with them (I have 3).

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 8:19 PM   #5
NHL

If you think about it, theses batteries put out pretty nifty current which can oxide the contacts... something that a wiggleling can clear up. I bought my 2nd battery from B&H (I believe it's the same one as Barthold's Power2000) with higher current rating than the Canon and it has a better oxide free gold contacts as well!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 7:05 AM   #6

Hahnel batteries work also fine (1300 mA)
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 9:25 AM   #7

I also wanted to add (so I'm not bad mouthing Lenmar too much) that the battery has generally performed quite well. It's rated at power than the Canon, and the price was right. I just found that battery meter thing... well, odd. So I pass it along.

Thanks for the suggestions on other brands. Right now 2 is all I need, but you never know what the future will hold!

Eric
Old Oct 16, 2003, 9:41 AM   #8

In the Netherlands there have been 2 accidents with Nokia phones and lithium ion batteries. This resulted in more public information about these batteries; From a horrible situation were positive and negative compartment can leak without warning and form gass (and next possible explosion) upto more mild bad battery performance.
I would say good you tossed that one out and please only give it to your worst enemy.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 11:12 AM   #9

I had a similar problem, only it was the Canon battery giving me problems. I had just put in what I thought was a fully charged battery and it showed discharged. Then I thought I must have mixed them up, but I now had two discharged batterys. When I put the Canon battery in the charger, it showed that it was charged. The aftermarked battery took a charge just fine. I had to finish the weekend by missing many photos because the battery was charging. The Canon battery was only about 2 mos. old so I took it in to the camera store, they put in one of their cameras and it showed fully charged and worked. I put it back in my camera and it worked fine again, months later it still seems to be working, but I don't trust it. I now carry four batterys and tend to not use the Canon one very much.

Does anyone have any experience with a charger that will charge more than one battery at a time?
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 3:59 PM   #10

Didn't the D60 come with a double charger? They certainly exist, but I've never seen one.

Eric