Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 10, 2008, 1:58 PM   #1

I will be going to the shuttle launch at Kennedy Space Center this week and need help on settings.

I have a canon xti with a ef-s 55-250 lens. It is a night launch and I will be across the Indian River which is several miles away.I am not sure what to use because of the sudden brightness that will occur on lift-off. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks-----Rich
guru46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2009, 8:04 AM   #2

Sadly you won't get any help on this forum unless your area Pro.:sad:
Photobug4741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:19 AM   #3

Photobug4741 wrote:
Quote:
Sadly you won't get any help on this forum unless your area Pro.:sad:
I'm not sure what your point is here. Unless you post under another name, your history hasn't shown you posting a single question. So I'm not sure why you think the forum members haven't been helpful. As for area pros - again not sure what you mean. There MAY be a couple working pros on this entire site. There are some of us that make some money on the side with our photography but only a couple that I am aware of that may make a living out of it. Most of us are hobbyists. And, in the years I've been here I've found quite a few helpful people.

To the OP,

That's certainly an interesting situation. I've never had the opportunity to shoot the shuttle launch. I can tell you that you'll be too far away to get any detail of the shuttle itself with that lens. So I would think the trail would be th most interesting aspect to capture. But, exposure will be tricky. Here's my suggestion - shoot in RAW and use exposure bracketing. Shoot ISO 1600 and wide open apertureto keep shutter speeds up for hand-holdability. Use partial metering and aperture priority. The bracketing (use full stops not 1/3 or 1/2) and the RAW should provide you leeway for getting a good exposure.

I would still try to get a shot at lift off time - again it's far away but continue to take shots from lift off through the arc.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:34 PM   #4

Well it looks like he now is getting some attention.:?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:43 PM   #5

Sadly I just now saw the date. A bit late to be of much use to the OP. But thank you Photobug for your positive contribution to a thread too old to matter to the OP.

The reality of the matter is there is a high likelihood that people who saw the post back in November may have zero experience shooting the space shuttle. It's not an opportunity 99% of photographers get.

Perhaps there are some more relavent threads (i.e. not too late to do the OP any good) that remain unaddressed you could contribute to?

Most of us are on this site because we enjoy photography. Most people here do their best to help each other out. It's no ones JOB to respond to posts. If you have something positive to contribute that's great - we all welcome it. But after 2 weeks of membership and 11 posts, calling out the other members for not being helpful enough is hardly called for.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 1:06 PM   #6

Well it is a really bright light from the main engine exhaust, against a dark sky if it's night. So I would stop down and shoot with a fast shutter. The same in bright sun the main engine exhaust is the very bright so you still must stop down. I would bracket my shots the 50D gives you this option. Surly some of the forums members have had dealings with bright objects against a dark background.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 3:22 PM   #7

Are you going to invent a time achine so the OP can go back to November?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 4:41 PM   #8

Truly I really could care less. As I do most of my reading and posting over at depreview.com, I just thought I would give this forum a try and it looks like it was a wasted effort on my part. I have deleted my posts about my new 50D and won't be posting again in this forum.:?

I do wish I did have a time machine, so I could get back the time I have wasted posting and reading this forum.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:01 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Ah yes, there's not much overlap between the type of person who gets on well at dpreview and the type who gets on well here.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 1:38 PM   #10

Rich: I'd love to see some shots of the launch if you managed to get any good ones. My brother has been talking for a while about going down to watch one himself... it'd certainly be a neat photo op. Maybe you'll have some pointers to share.

By the way... if you have trouble getting feedback here, you might re-consider your thread titles. For example, "help needed with settings" is kinda vague. Something like "Space Shuttle launch photo op" might attract more readers/contributors. And rather than repeat the same heading as the subtitle, you could use that field to add more details. Maybe something like, "Looking for help with night lift-off settings."

Photobug: Why so negative? I hope that your attitude isn't a reflection of the average poster over at dpreview. Your nonsensical rant in this thread is a really bad advertisement for that forum.

Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote