Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 12, 2008, 6:29 PM   #1

Hi, I was in this forum awhile ago asking about the XTi. I never did get it, and now I see the XSI is out. I am happy I waited, because it seems like a better camera. I have been watching the prices for a while, hoping they will catch up with the economy. I found this deal at BH Photo,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications

I like taking pictures of nature. Landscapes, animals, trees, water, etc...and Macro pics. Is this is a good kit, and a good kit for the price, or would you recommend something else? I hope to use this camera to learn photography. Thanks.
Manti9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2008, 9:22 PM   #2

Your essentially getting the 55-250 for $200 more than buying the Canon XSi with the 18-55 only.

The 55-250 retails for about $250 so basically they are giving you $50 off the 55-250 telephoto lens if you buy it as part of the XSi kit.

The 55-250 is actually getting pretty good reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/review/product...owViewpoints=1

I looked at the images samples on PBASE and they look pretty good:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_s_55_250_mm_is

So I'd say - hey - go for it! Your getting the XSi and two pretty usable lenses for 824.90 plus a little bit of shipping.

That's a pretty good deal!
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 11:08 PM   #3

Thank You for the advice, I really needed it. Nice to hear from a fellow MA resident. I have been waiting for a new camera for too long. I am happy I waited though, because I love the feel of the XSi.I really like the biggerlcd screen, it fits better in my hands, and although I am going to use it to learn 'real' photography, Iheard the automatic mode is really good on this camera. Thanks for the links too, I will check them out.

Old Nov 12, 2008, 11:12 PM   #4

The XSI is a good camera, my wife wants one for herself.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:12 AM   #5

Thanks Calicajun. I think your wife has good taste, .

I think I am mainly worried about buying the kit, since a lot of people say DON'T BUY KITS! Yet this one is from a very reputable store that I have bought things from the past, so I was hoping their kit was legit.

Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:17 PM   #6

I bought an XSi with just the kit lens in mid-September for just over $900 CDN. It's proving to be a steep learning curve for me... it's my first DSLR and I wasn't very satisfied with my first bunch of pictures. But with some advice from board members here and some book-reading, I think I have a better handle on how to work the camera.

There were a few people here, me included, posting threads and replies about the kit lens being out-of-focus and blah, blah, blah. But it turns out that newbies (again, me included) just have a difficult time adjusting to DSLR photography (i.e., expectations of the camera doing all the work).

I'm getting the hang of it now and I really like my XSi. I figure it'll take me a year or so to really feel like it's an extension of my eye, but that's okay.
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 7:00 PM   #7

the xsi is a very good camera. i have shot weddings with it and had good results. the biggest problem most people have when they get there first dslr is they expect majic and it just don't happen. you have to learn how to use it and get lots of practice and a good edit program. once you learn how to use the xsi then compare your photos now with what you take then and you will be pleased.
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 8:02 PM   #8

Yah, I went from a pretty basic camera to a Canon 20D about 4 years ago.

I felt like a 16 year old in a Ferrari.

After about six months though, I was pretty comfortable with the Ferrari!
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote