Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 16, 2003, 5:01 AM   #1

Default Can Cannon 300D work without a lens?

:shock: I have one unnusual question - is anybody try remove lens and take image. Will be than camera in lock position (refuse to make exposure) or not. I need this becouse I will use this camera for astrophotography: camera body with T-adapter attach on telescope (for photography of Moon, Sun etc..). If I buy and camera would not take images on this way, I will be very dissapoint :evil: Some analog SLR cameras have same problems but there is way to unlock this feature with some button combination. Thank you for answer.
http://www.croastro.com
glivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2003, 7:14 AM   #2

Don't know about 300D. Just tested with 10D removed lens, started the camera, take photo resulted in nice blurred photo :-)
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 3:09 PM   #3
djb

i don't know if the 300d will work without a lens. i assume there is a manual mode for it. remember when you hook the camera to a telescope you are using a telephoto lens and have a focal point unlike trying to take a picture with no lens at all. with the telescope you will have something to focus via the telescope. it should work. i know the film slr cameras work and i didn't think the dslr cameras work any different other than they use a ccd or cmos device instead of film. people at nikon told me that the d100 is used quite a bit for astrophotography with excellent results. the 300d should be just as good.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 3:39 PM   #4

OK, I undersatd this. I have experience with using standard or digital cameras on telescope(visit http://www.croastro.com) . problem is: If I attach D300 to telescope, using T adapter (simple ring with one side like canon lens, other side with screw for telescope) - will D300 refuse to take images because there is no electrical contact for auto focus or for f ratio. For sample, I have Minolta Dynax SLR camera and when I remove lens, I cannot take exposure-shuter is silent. (sorry if my english is poor).
Let some with D300 on this forum remove lens and press shutter - work or not?
Old Oct 20, 2003, 9:33 AM   #5

I have a 10D, with an adapter, and of course the T. You have to focus manually. Other than that, it should work.
Kennrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 11:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by glivar
Let some with D300 (sic) on this forum remove lens and press shutter - work or not?
Yes, the 300D/Digital Rebel works with no lens. You can select shutter speed but not aperature.
The Photo Tuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 2:58 PM   #7

Thank you! I will get one !
http://www.croastro.com