Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 18, 2008, 4:50 PM   #1

My wife and I typically use a Sigma 18-125mm lens to carry around. She is getting more into photography and wanted to get another lens. She ended up purchasing a Canon 50mm 1.4 ultrasonic several months ago. She purchased it used from a high end local camera shop for just under $250. It seems like it worked fine but recently it will not focus at all. I put in our sigma 18-125 or the sigma 70-300 and they focus fine, but the nicer canon will not focus at all.

You can hear that it is trying to do something, and clicks a bit, but the lens simply wont focus.

Update-I just tried someone elses EXACT same lens and it worked fine. She said she has also had times where hers wouldn't focus either, then she turns the camera off and back on and it will work again. I try and that isn't solving the problem

Anyone else have this problem?
rodH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2008, 1:34 PM   #2

I use a Canon 50mm f 1.8 and have no problem with focusing. The f 1.4 should work even better than the f 1.8 (which I should have bought), you should go back to the camera store and see if they can help. Have you checked that the contacts on the lens are clean? Hey it could be something really simple.

Once you get the 50mm lens working, it will become one of your favorite lenses.

Good luck,

Craig
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:51 PM   #3

Craig, thanks for the reply.

I took it to the store, he has record of the sale but says they only cover items for 30 days, it is 6 months since I got it. He didn't really know what to say other than he could send it in and get it fixed and I pay his cost for the repair or I can just take it in myself (canon center is only 20 miles from me).

I said "I guess I made a mistake by purchasing used", his reply was that I didn't and that this is a very rare case. I said "obviously I did". I know there is a risk whenever buying a used item, BUT the way he handled this and his attitude was a big turn off. Even if he wasn't going to somehow cover it, I would have expected him to be a little more professional about it and sympathize, he just acted like he didn't care.

Needless to say, I wont be purchasing ANY more stuff from OC Camera in the future.
rodH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 3:54 AM   #4

Sorry to hear that you received less than professional service. Don't know where OC camera is located and guess I should be glad I don't too. I been dealing with Bill's camera in Huntington Beach since 1971 and have never hada problem with their service, just lucky I guess. I had good luck dealing with Canon service in Irvine but that was years ago. Hopefully they are still as good to deal with as they were in the eighties.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote