Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 17, 2003, 11:25 AM   #1

Default AF assist light!?

i have a question about the AF assist. the 10D and 300d use the flash to focus, but the 10D has to take a flash picture if you use the assist and the 300D does not(i'm leaning more towards the 10D for more fine tuning but the AF assist makes think twice). this is where i'm torn between canon and nikon(has it own AF assist light). so i need your help... how do you like the AF assist on the canons? this is pretty much my only struggle as i like taking pics at night. i will be moving up from a D7i... so i have no investment in any lenses. thanks for your help!
pspeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2003, 12:30 PM   #2

The answer is easy to me...choose one with it's own AF assist lamp. No doubt about it. Whether it's Nikon or Canon is not that important. The differences is marginals.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 12:45 PM   #3
NHL

Quote:
but the 10D has to take a flash picture if you use the assist and the 300D does not
The 10D is identical to the 300D, the camera flashes quickly low-intensity pulse like the red-eye reduction beam... but no flash picture is taken! If you have an external flash then the IR assist beam from the flash is used instead... or get the ST-E2 device which is 100% InfraRed, and will double as your flash heads wireless controller... (this device will work on both the 10D/300D)

BTW why do you think you need AF assist, the camera works pretty well in the dark and lots of us actually disable the AF assist from the camera entirely. 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 10:54 PM   #4

wow thanks! i was just curious on how well they focus in the dark. since my D7i's LCD switches to B/W to help it. so i didn't know how well the REAL D-SLRs did. thanks for your help. i'm leaning more towards the canon(10D) but, i just need to hold one and see how it feels(i've held the d100 and it feels good but the 300D feels to plastic-y). my local store was out of them. but, as soon as they get more in i'll check it out! :shock:
pspeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 10:44 AM   #5
NHL

Quote:
(i've held the d100 and it feels good but the 300D feels to plastic-y)
It's the color (and especially the weight)... The D100 is polycarbonate as well!

A good thing actually, they scratch when bang against solid objects, but metal magnesium like the 10D would ding as well as being scratched and heavier...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote