Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 18, 2003, 8:48 AM   #11

"Write Acceleration Technology (WA) allows digital cameras and CompactFlash cards to work together perfectly to pass and store images more quickly and achieve image-write speeds never before possible." quote from Lexar site.

www.lexarmedia.com

it is a combination of camera firmware/CF firmware handshaking tech the increases xfr rates. your camera must support this tech. nikon/kodak is one of the prime backers. canon currently does not support it.

these days you must be careful of the tech used as far as referencing the xfr rate of your camera and matching it with a card. the tech moves so fast. as a member of costco i have found that items like these are the older tech and for digicams are just great. no company except for these days stated the minimum xfr speeds of their cards. lexar forced a speed race and a statement of actual capability. BUT-depending on your use and camera your speed may vary. just like buying a car and chking gas milage you may get more or less. too many variables in camera design and execution.

just for grins if you go to costco and look for an xD card you will find 256MB sandisk marketed units. look at them in the blister pack and they're olympus logo'd cards probably made by fuji.

CF cards are manufactured throughout asia and the US. so far all my lexar pro and delkin pro cards are US origin at this time.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 9:44 AM   #12

My work just purchased the rebel and I have a 512 MB card. I'm getting between 150-160 shots at 6 MB. resolution.

Glenn
Nikon 5700
gverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 9:44 AM   #13

My work just purchased the rebel and I have a 512 MB card. I'm getting between 150-160 shots at 6 MB. resolution.

Glenn
Nikon 5700
Old Oct 21, 2003, 10:08 AM   #14

Does anyone know whether the 40X label on the Lexar card is meaningful for a Canon Digital Rebel? I've read that Lexar achieves its enhanced speed by the use of Write Acceleration (WA) technology. As far as I know, Canon cameras are not WA enabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaE
The Lexar 40X is faster, but, the size and the number of the photos at 6megs, is a load of stuff to transfer at once.
wpla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 10:10 AM   #15

Glenn
Nikon 5700
Old Oct 21, 2003, 12:00 PM   #16

If you follow the link that sjms put in his post in the first reply in this thread, you'll see that the camer doesn't utilize the 40x write of the WA lexar. The 512MB 24x lexar is only 4 K/sec slower than the 40x WA 1G lexar.

Of course the WA version offer other benefits like a lifetime warrenty.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 1:11 PM   #17
NHL

Did you guys notice how fast the Kodaks are... I can understand a DCS Pro 14n, but a DCS 760? Isn't this camera made previous to WA time... 50% faster than the 1Ds or the D100. Apparently there are still cost cutting(saving) going on in newer cameras and not entrirely due to WA alone... :?

I'll be curious to see the D2H timing though...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 9:52 PM   #18

Ya, I wonder about the d2h as well. Since they patched in WA support into the D100, I wonder if it will support it out of the box.

I do rarely wish for faster write time (and higher cost) in the 10D. The deep buffer often is good enough. Of course, I have missed a few shots because of it, so it would be nice any ways.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2003, 7:12 AM   #19
NHL

The biggest! 4 GB and 6 GB CF tested... and some datapoints with the Oly E1.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote