Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 17, 2003, 2:11 PM   #1

Default Ideal CF Memory card for Rebel Digital?

Can anyone tell me what is reasonably good CF card worth buying for Rebel? How many pics can be stored on a 512 MB card with the setting of 6 mp setting on the camera.

Which is better Lexar or Sandisk?

Thanks
JamesMathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2003, 4:55 PM   #2

lexar for quality control and service. now sandisk has gotten better in the QC department but customer service is lacking.

ref:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6425
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 8:23 PM   #3

The Lexar 40X is faster, but, the size and the number of the photos at 6megs, is a load of stuff to transfer at once.

I would not bother getting anything larger than a 256mg card. How many pictures can you stand to review at any one time really? You can't even see the thumbprint print on 80 photos well enough to select one. I would try to download 40 pictures at max, to make the load workable. Will you even remember what pictures you took if you decide to 1g and load it up? . You need a fast card reader, don't even think of downloading directly from the camera (12 minutes). Lexar gives a free card reader when you buy a 256 card. With that reader it takes about 3-4 minutes to download (about 80 pictures). You might want to consider buying the USB 2 reader if a minute or too matter to you each time you download?

Hope this helps someone.
SheilaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 9:59 PM   #4

thats where i differ in opinion. if you shoot raw 512MB is reasonable. i worry about continuous shooting. downloading is an afterthought though my firewire reader makes quick work of a 512 card.
Old Oct 18, 2003, 12:58 AM   #5

Default Last time I looked

A 512mb CF card is around $240-US. You can get a 1-GB Microdrive from B&H or Adorama for $199-US. I've had & used one for several years & unless you are using you camera for a bolo-weight, it should work great!
Old Oct 18, 2003, 1:43 AM   #6

512 Mb CF cards are much cheaper than that. About $150 or so.

The 10D does not support WA, does the 300D do? probably not. Even without WA there are differences in speed. There's a website that compared a lot of them for write speed. I'll have to look it up, and will post the link later.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 7:10 AM   #7

I got my 1 Gig SanDisk from ecost.com a while back for $190. When I go out for the day, I usually take around 300-500 pictures. At least 150 if it was a bad day. I enjoy my 1gig card.
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 8:43 AM   #8
NHL

The lower priced Sandisk 1G are slower than the microdrives... The equivalent speed Sandisk Ultra (or Lexar WA) are priced slighly higher... Of course the big difference is when they'll come back shortly with the 4G microdrives with the faster speed and lower /Mb price still... :lol: :lol: :lol:

All this format competition is good for the photographers, profit from it instead of selecting one over the other (I have both)! BTW you may not need the speed now, but what about the next camera?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 9:11 AM   #9

WA isn't the issue. it's performance will reach the buffer limit of the camera (the differences between the two are negligable)and is currently lower in price the a Ultra II card. also as far as customer svc goes for issues they're miles ahead of sandisk. write speeds are the most important. but for reads on a lexar pro 1GB card using a delkin Firewire CF card reader it takes ~32 sec to xfr a batch of images with a total size of 233MB. i would say the Ultra II will do as well.
Old Oct 18, 2003, 9:21 AM   #10
jms

What is "WA"?

Sam's Club carries a Simpletech 512 meg CF for $90.48

The 1 gig CF is $202.

Is that any good?
jms is offline   Reply With Quote