Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 23, 2008, 7:38 PM   #1

Do adapters exist that permit old Canon mount lenses (pre-eos lenses) to be used on a camera with the current style mount?
For example, if I happen to discover a collection of Canon glass from the 1970's, could I use them with the adapter on a digital XTI?
I have heard there are such adapters. I've also heard there are adapters that will enable Nikon and other lens mounts to be used with a Canon.
Is this true? Or, is the photographic equivalent of an urban legend?
My ignorance is boundless.

:?:
izin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:11 PM   #2
NHL

izin wrote:
Quote:
Is this true? Or, is the photographic equivalent of an urban legend?
My ignorance is boundless.

:?
It's true - You can mount pretty much anything in front of the EOS as long as there's an adapter for it:
http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/compatible.html

Usually theses lenses will be for manual focus only and stop-down aperture operation. Also depending on the flange distance you might also be limited by the distance either up close or at infinity
-> For landscape(or macro) manual focus is not so much an issue so some people do tend to go the extra mile for the extra performances:
http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/best19_21.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:44 AM   #3

Thank you very much.
izin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 3:53 PM   #4

I have 'old' Leica R Elmarit lenses and the comparison tables you posted do not lie.

They were great performers and they still are. Only problem is bringing them into the digital age in a cost effective way- which is NOTon aLeica body of their present product line and price structure. It would be cheaper to keep using film!

I plan to use an adapter on a Canon EOS 450D.

Such is the resolution of the 90mm F2.8 Elmarit lens you can see 1" steel guy wires over TWO miles away. What degree of arc is that?

For the money if the 450D gives me half as good asthat I'll be happy.
maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 3:53 PM   #5

UPDATE on my last post:

Iboughta Leica[/b] R to EOS adapter from CAM.PLUS from Hong Kong on
ebay http://stores.ebay.co.uk/camplus-shop.

Itwas $13 and is a perfect fit for all lenses[/b]. It has a stop to
prevent overwinding the adapter ring onto the EOS mount. And nothing,
even the 19mm Elmarit comes anywhwere near the EOS mirror. So I consider
myself lucky.

They have adapters for all makes of lenses and digital cameras

That was the good news.

The bad is: compared to the Canon 18-55 on the EOS Xsi 450D, the Leica R lenses (without customising the settings in camera) perform a pale second best!!

And I do mean pale. This plastic Canon lens (which weighs just slightly more than a Leica lens cap!) gives bright crisp contrasty shots, while all the Leica lenses lack exactlty what they do on film - snap your head back with definition and finesse.

This may be due to the fact that today's EOS lenses are tuned to digital. Something which you can do with the 450D in custom settings, when using older manual lenses.

By stepping up contrast and sharpnessit goes some way to get the Leica's back into the game. That andunderexposing up to 1-2 stops in bright sun!

This is the XSi/450D (APS-C 1.6x factor) with the Leica Elmarit 90 f2.8 atf8, 100ASA -0.7 stop. Cropped from the full 12M pixeljpeg image.

Manual focus - but focussing on the eyes is a lot easier said than done.

Attached Images

maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote