Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 17, 2003, 10:02 PM   #1

Default Happy with EOS300D features?

I bought the 300d knowing it did not have all of the control features of the 10d. It did however list an AE lock feature. This is something that I use a lot in high contrast situations with or without flash. Well guess what I discovered. The AE lock does not work when using the flash. All it does when using the flash is change from evaluative metering to center metering. I know that Canon dumbed down the 300d so that they would still have a market for the 10d but this is a little stupid. If you’re going to include a feature on a camera include all of it not half of it. Am I the only one who feels this way? If so then I can live with it but if not I encourage other 300d owners to contact Cannon and let them know how you feel. They can after all issue a firmware update that would correct this.
smshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2003, 11:04 PM   #2
NHL

Quote:
The AE lock does not work when using the flash. All it does when using the flash is change from evaluative metering to center metering.
The AE lock works in all mode (except the Basic Zone). When this button is pressed it actually selects the partial metering mode, ie 9% center of the viewfinder or a big 'spot' (page 84 of manual).

When the flash is enabled, the AE button becomes a (*) flash exposure lock, ie it does the same function as AE normaly does for available light, but lock in the exposure value for the flash instead (page 83)!

Centerweighted metering is only selected when you turn the camera to the M manual mode, but again even in this mode if you press AE, it'll become partial metering (see page 122 for summary)

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...483&highlight=
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 8:58 AM   #3

Thanks for the correction on the center vs. partial. I understand that is what the manual says. Cannon however told me differently. In fact the tech person told me that in order for the exposure to be locked I had to maintain the shutter being held half way down. How do you recompose a picture after metering if you cant focus on the supject again? If what you say is correct that is much better, however I would still rather the appature and shutter be locked and the flash adjust. Question, does your 10d work the same way?
smshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 10:16 AM   #4
NHL

Quote:
In fact the tech person told me that in order for the exposure to be locked I had to maintain the shutter being held half way down.
I'm not sure why he said this... since these two buttons serve 2 different functions:

1. If you don't use the AE button then 1/2 pressing the shutter will lock both the focus and the exposure (but this is an an overall 35-points evaluative metering).
2. When the AE button is used, this will lock the exposure with partial-metering, and you're free to lock the focus with 1/2 pressing down the shutter (independently from the AE button).
3. In the viewfinder the left * indicates AE lock by the AE/* button, while the right o indicates focus lock by the shutter 1/2 pressed.

The 10D has more flexibilty... but the 300D is good enough for most purpose. It's a superb camera and very to use once you understand how it ticks!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote