Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 30, 2008, 4:44 PM   #11
Super Moderator

It looks like your quick release plate is only plastic rather than rubber or cork which is probably why it is not gripping. If you are not wanting to replace the tripod then if you can get some thin rubber or any other type of non slip material and glue this to the mount that might give you enough grip. Just make sure you have enough screw going into the thread so you don't put too much load on a a small amount and strip it.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 10:46 PM   #12

I have a manfrotto tripod, the QR plate is the same way. I just popped the plastic "bump" out with some pliers. Then the plate will work correctly with your XSi, you might get some movement with your video camera, but not likely.

In any case, if you put that much force on the screw to get it into the bottom of the XSi, I'm afraid that sooner or later the threads on the XSi will strip.

I don't know what type of tripod you have, but with my Manfrotto, I just bought a couple extra QR plates. One I have fastened on with loctite onto the tripod collar of my 70-200 f2.8L, the other I have on the camera for when I use a different lens, but want to use the tripod.

I have a third plate with the little bump still in it in case I do some heavy duty video shooting.

Mark, what difference would the material make? Mine is cork, but there's no way that it works on my Xti or my 40D without taking the nub out.

Joe Fisher
Kalispell, MT

FaithfulPastor wrote:
Quote:
I have a tripod that doesn't screw directly into my XSi. There is a "plate" that has screw in it. The screw goes into the screwhole in the bottom of the camera. Then, you mount the plate into the tripod.

I'm guessing this is standard setup.

The plate has the screw, AND a second little "bump" of a thing that my video camera uses. The two elements (the screw and the bump) give the plate two anchors to keep the video camera from spinningunintentionally.

Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 10:17 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Looking at the locator on the mount it seems to be of the type that retracts so shouldn't pose an issue leaving it there.

As for the cork/rubber, this is to give better grip which is probably what FP is lacking if it is just hard plastic.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 6:55 AM   #14

Mark1616:

Whe you wrote that I should use cork or a piece of rubber...I immediately thought of an accessory that is being sold for cell phones for your car.

They make a non-slip piece of rubber that lays on the dashboard of your car. You put your cell phone on it and your cell phone doesn't slide around when you're driving. The pad, isn't sticky the way that donut sugar gets on your hand. It's just a very tacky pad that had a nice grip to it.

They sell those pads at truckstops. Next time I on the freeway, I'm going to stop in and get one. I'll let you know how it works out.

In hoc signo vinces,

Michael the FaithfulPastor

FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 2:33 PM   #15

FaithfulPastor wrote:
Quote:
Mark1616:

Whe you wrote that I should use cork or a piece of rubber...I immediately thought of an accessory that is being sold for cell phones for your car.

They make a non-slip piece of rubber that lays on the dashboard of your car. You put your cell phone on it and your cell phone doesn't slide around when you're driving. The pad, isn't sticky the way that donut sugar gets on your hand. It's just a very tacky pad that had a nice grip to it.

They sell those pads at truckstops. Next time I on the freeway, I'm going to stop in and get one. I'll let you know how it works out.

In hoc signo vinces,

Michael the FaithfulPastor

Nice idea, will give that a go myself and see if it works. Never understood why the new DSLR don't have that extra hole in them to help hold the camera in place. My old film camera did (70's, I did say old) and it worked out well.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 8:58 AM   #16

Here is a photo of my quick release plate, it has rubber on it and a place to insert the pins for various camera/camcorder setups.
Attached Images

pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote