Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:22 PM   #1

I bought a 10D several years ago and all of the sudden my wife (who swore she would never go digital) has almost repo'd my 10d. All of the sudden she is taking photography classes at the local college, photoshop classes, etc.....

Now it is one of her favorite hobbies and I have been guilty of calling it "her camera" (stupid me). She spends some time almost every day either taking pictures or working with them on Photoshop, or making books through shutterfly or whatever those are called.

She mostly shoots people; Babies, families, etc....but she does do some landscape photography, where I use it more for sports. She has a much better eye than I do, and since she has taken the classes has a much better understanding of how to really use the camera.

With that in mind, my dad just got a Nikon d60. I has a D70 as well, but the lenses are NOT interchangable and he really liked the size of the 60, so he bought it. He gave me the 70, BUT I don't have much use for it since it uses Nikon lenses and all we have are Canon lenses. I am selling it to a buddy and I found a smoking deal on a XSi. I ended up selling the Nikon D70 with 2 lenses and a bunch of stuff for a bit more than the XSi and kit lens. (now I can use all the canon lenses we have AND it is a camera that can be "mine" and we can put it in a smaller bag and actually take it on outings where the 10d just seemed too heavy and bulky.)

I mentioned, "I wonder if the XSi might actually take better pics than the 10D with all the newer technology". This is when I wondered if we should get her a new camera (although we don't have the funds for it right now). She mentions, "it seems like a lot of my pictures come out dull and not very colorful......". I mentioned that her pics look great, but she counters that with the reason they do is all the work she does to them in photoshop.

Would a 20d, 30d or 40d make her pictures that much better or is it more of the user than the actual camera???

rodH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2008, 7:20 PM   #2

The photographer is everything, but a great camera helps.

The Xsi is a really nice camera, and not too much money. The XSi is twice the resolution of the 10D, so she'd be able to crop photos and/or enlarge them with megapixels to spare.

If you have even more Cash, the Canon 50D is pretty spectacular.

I'd say if she's really into photography and you can afford it, the XSi is not a difficult camera to justify at all.

The D50 is more $'s. Perhaps if she could find a way to start making some money from her photography, then the Canon 50D is justifiable.

Keep the 10D as a "backup" camera.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 2:42 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I would say that having a 50D would seem to make sense; you have two photographers in the family. You could reclaim the 10D for your own, :-) and of course you can share lenses.

It's the kind of camera that will last you for another 5 years at least, whereas I have a suspicion that with the surge of photographic interest in your household you may find that one or other outgrows the XSi in a couple of years.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:24 AM   #4

thanks for the advice. I think you guys misunderstood what I wrote. Hereit is in simplified form.

We have a Canon 10d and I just bought a Canon XSi. Is the XSi a much better camera to the point that it will make the 10d take pictures like a piece of junk (the additional resolution means nothing for what we use it for)??

Thanks
rodH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:33 AM   #5

RodH,

The Canon XSi uses a 14 bit converter, whereas the Canon 10D uses a 12 bit converter.

That gives you about 2 stops of extra dynamic range.

So it will show up as better gradation in the highlights and the shadows.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:54 AM   #6

rodH wrote:
Quote:
thanks for the advice. I think you guys misunderstood what I wrote. Hereit is in simplified form.

We have a Canon 10d and I just bought a Canon XSi. Is the XSi a much better camera to the point that it will make the 10d take pictures like a piece of junk (the additional resolution means nothing for what we use it for)??

Thanks
Nothing will make the 10D suddenly take pictures like a piece of junk except for the photographer
sasc is offline   Reply With Quote