Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 13, 2008, 6:19 PM   #1

I have the 20d and the 40d and I was going tobuy the 50d, price has dropped to $1,065 at some sites. I hear talk about issues with noise I don't see any in steves samples (using an L lens). Anyone here that has this camera have any problems with noise Thanks Pat
HeidiandHans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2008, 9:45 AM   #2

I would also like to know this. I have a 30D and keep hearing how it will be night and day difference between the two, but I keep hearing the same thing about the noise. I hope someone will chime in on it. :G
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:08 AM   #3
NHL

Going from a 30D to a 50D is a no brainer; However it's a little bit harder to decide between a 40D and 50D as far as the IQ goes:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/179|0/(appareil2)/180|0/(appareil3)/267|0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Canon/(brand3)/Canon
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:41 AM   #4

As best as I can gather the ISO performance between 40D and 50d is almost a wash. The 50d has more noise but also more detail. So after being run through noise reduction you end up with an image similar to the 40D - a little better but not groundbreaking. From all the reports I'm reading from people that shoot action, focus performance is at best only slightly better in the 50D.

The real problem is this - Nikon's D300. The D300 set a pretty high bar for noise performance in an APS-C camera. The 50D fell short of that. Now, I can say the 1dmkIII was a good full stop better noise performance.

And then, once you get to full frame you have the D700, D3, 5dmkII and 1dsmkIII which have phenomenal noise performance.

The lens microadjust is a very nice feature and potentially very useful.

LCD is a very good feature.

But yes, the 50d should be a good step up from the 30d.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 7:37 AM   #5

Heree's a link to an interesting article that might help:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...confusion.html

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 5:23 PM   #6

surfnron wrote:
Quote:
Heree's a link to an interesting article that might help:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...confusion.html

Ron
Thanks for the link Ron, i enjoyed reading it, it makesyou feel like you should go out and take some pictures and enjoy your camera and i'm sure i will because the 50d with kit 24-135mm is, arives tomorrow along with the pixma pro 9500 pigment wide formatinkjet $400 rebate on the printer end price $311 with b+h $192 for lens in kit (just need to make sure it's tight) 50d $1,065 matched abe's of maine with there loyalty $10 all thru b+h and ship is free great deal just got to hide it fromthe wife. back to the article, i am guilty of reading into just about everything i hear and read, and now i have to say that steve's sample pictures with the 50d are just simply amazing. Pat
HeidiandHans is offline   Reply With Quote