Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 26, 2008, 1:38 PM   #1

I'd like to solicit opinions on the following situation:
I currently have a Rebel XT and am considering giving it to my daughter to help her learn photography and buying a new camera for myself. Since the introduction of the 5D Mark II, the older 5D has come down in price. A friend said that the newer cameras like the 40D and 50D, though not full-frame, are better technologically. The Mark II is not under consideration by me. Any opinions?
zona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2008, 2:47 PM   #2

i have the 50d and really like it. what kind of lenses do you have ? some lenses are designed for cameras with a crop factor and vice versa .
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2008, 5:46 PM   #3

Like anything it depends on what you want to do, what you want to spend, whether you have lenses you want to try to reuse, and even preference, e.g. weight, whether sealing, viewfinder, playback display size quality, shooting speed, etc.

Even the XSi is better then our Rebel XTs, better image quality, more accurate, nice large display, dust removal etc.

a 40D and 50D are very nice cameras. Some might argue one would be better off with 40d then the Xsi. Of course it costs closer to $1000 instead of around $600 the Xsi goes for.

Full Frame is going to be better 5D and 5D Mark II. The difference is not as great as the jump from a tiny Digicam sensor to the Crop APC sensor in non Full Frame but it is indeed an improvement.

Full Frame means your jumping up to the $2000 + price range even for an older model like a 5D.

Many on this forum would argue to that investing in lenses, lighting, and technique is as or more important.

Like everything everyones needs are different. I would imagine just the review quality on the Xsi display + size alone lets you know when you have some nice shots, versus our older displays that make that task basically a guess.

Lastly you are not limited to Canon. Nikon, Pentax and Sony also make fine Cameras.

When the Rebel XT came out it was just the best at its price range and above. Uniquely Canon also offers a good free Raw Photo Editor DPP Digital Photo professional and all their Cameras shoot high quality Jpeg with Raw while other offer Raw with lower Quality Jpeg. Or Jpeg High quality alone. Raw is great. One should never shoot with out it. I think of it like a negative that I can fix photos when necessary. It sure is nice if the Jpegs are best quality/usable for most of your photos without the need to post process.

To my knowledge the Canon xtras have not changed. Nikon makes you pay xtra or use Photoshop or other software for raw. And not all their cameras offer high quality jpeg with Raw.

Most still agree the Canon XSi is still the value quality leader, buts is really close. But Nikons offer more spot on (more frequently correct) auto settings which is important too.

And the companies do not all fight in the same class. You might be better off with an XS/Xsi then a D60. But What about the D90/D300 versus the 40D/50D?

Long story short. What are your needs. What do you want to shoot. Read lots of reviews. Pick up Cameras and handle/shoot with them. Borrow from friends if you can. Study Lens choices and lighting too.

anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 5:34 AM   #4
Super Moderator

http://wyofoto.com/EOS_IQ_shootout_2...tout_2008.html

The 50D is a better camera, but the images from FF have characteristics that crop cameras don't have. The "shootout" link above come to the conclusion that the 5D still has the edge on IQ.

Tough choice between the two, with the all-rounder going to the 50D, but for me it would come down to lens choice and the type of pics you shoot.

I've not been tempted to trade-in my 5D for a 50D in the slightest.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 9:37 AM   #5

In reply to what lenses I use, my 2 favorites are Canon 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8; for wide angle I have a 20-35mm 3.5-4.5, a 100mm 2.8 for macro shots and for sports, wildlife, etc., I have Canon's 100-400 4-5.6 IS lens. Any of these could be used with either or full frame or 50D type camera. I enjoy architecture shots, portrait work, and sports photography, mostly soccer.
zona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 6:08 PM   #6

It Sounds like you have the Lenses (others could tell you more then i) to go with a 5D.

Good luck, tough to choose.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 3:55 PM   #7

As has been stated, it really comes down to the type of shooting you will be doing. I have both the 40D and 5D and I generally prefer the 5D for most occassions. Both have their strengths and drawbacks, but for landscape and portrait work, in my opinion the 5D offers better image quality. The improved technology gives the 40D a lot of good features and it is a great camera for action and sports.
harryp is offline   Reply With Quote